Thomas Nelson Community College is a two-year institution of higher education established as a part of a statewide system of community colleges. It primarily serves the residents of the cities of Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson, and Williamsburg, and the counties of James City and York. The College operates under policies established by the State Board for Community Colleges and with the guidance of the Thomas Nelson Community College Board. The administration of the College is directly responsible to the chancellor of the Virginia Community College System. The College is financed primarily by state funds, supplemented by contributions from the participating localities and the federal government.
The College provides financially accessible, high quality, comprehensive educational programs and services to meet the educational needs of citizens of all ages and to support the economic development of the Commonwealth. To this end, the college offers:
- Associate’s degree programs to prepare individuals for careers as technical and paraprofessional workers;
- Associate’s degree programs to prepare individuals for transfer, as upper-division students, to baccalaureate degree programs at four-year institutions;
- diploma and certificate programs to prepare individuals for careers as technicians and as skilled and semi-skilled workers;
- developmental courses to prepare individuals for further instructional programs;
- student development services to assist individuals with decisions regarding occupational, educational, and personal goals;
- industrial training programs for new or expanding businesses, industries, and professions;
- continuing education programs, including credit and non-credit courses, seminars and workshops for individuals who wish to continue or expand their learning experiences; and,
- cultural and educational opportunities for the community.
Thomas Nelson Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award the associate degree. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Thomas Nelson Community College. All other questions about Thomas Nelson Community College should be addressed directly to the College.