Most new Thomas Nelson students must take the English and math placement tests before registering for classes
Thomas Nelson administers the Virginia Placement Test, which is required by Virginia's Community Colleges. These are not admission tests. They evaluate college readiness by identifying academic strengths and areas that need development. The results—in reading, writing and mathematics—indicate the ability to succeed in college-level classes.
Preparing for the Placement Tests
Not preparing for the placement tests could cost you time and money.
- Take the test seriously and give yourself enough time to finish
- Take the English and math tests on different days to maximize your success. Each test takes about two hours to complete
- Prepare and do your best! Review our tips and take both the practice English and math tests online
Based on your scores, you may be required to enroll in developmental English and/or math classes to improve your skills and knowledge in certain areas. Tuition is charged for these classes, but the credits you earn do not count toward your degree or certificate.
Do you need to take the Placement Test?
Students may be waived from the placement test for a variety reasons. Find out more.
Walk-In Testing Hours
Hampton campus, Wythe Hall, room 254A
- Monday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Tuesday 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Wednesday 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Thursday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Friday 8 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Saturday 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. (1st and 3rd only)
(757) 825-3540 or (757) 825-2795
Historic Triangle campus, room 124
- Monday 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Tuesday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Thursday 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Friday 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
While the placement tests are untimed, we require that students allow at least two hours to take each segment of the placement test. Students, therefore, will not be permitted to begin a placement test if there is less than two hours remaining in the day’s schedule.