English as a Second Language (ESL)
The College requires students to take the ESL Placement Test if English is not a student’s native language. This is done through a program called Accuplacer. The link below reflects sample test questions.
ESL Placement Test Results
If results indicate the student needs ESL instruction, then he/she must complete the required ESL courses before further enrolling in academic courses.
- The College offers the following ESL Program:
- Beginner Block 1 (Reading, Writing and Oral Communication)
- Intermediate Block 2 (Reading, Writing and Oral Communication)
How to Demonstrate English Proficiency
- Paper TOEFL score of 550
- Computer TOEFL score of 213
- Internet base TOEFL score of 80
- SAT Critical Reading and Writing Score of 500 or higher
- ACT Verbal (English and Writing) Score of 21 or higher
- US Degree (associate, bachelor, or master) from an accredited institution located in a country where English is the native language
- Successful completion of one college-level English course at a regionally accredited U.S. institution. This course must be equivalent to TNCC’s English Composition 1 (ENG 111)
- Successful completion of Thomas Nelson ESL Courses