|Category: Events, Workforce||Comments Open|
|Tags: Layoff Aversion, Managing Layoffs, Rapid Response Summit, Workforce Conference|
Peninsula companies will find an “inside track” for locating qualified workers, weathering downsizing, and accessing grants to avert layoff situations at the free Connecting the Dots Summit held at the Peninsula Workforce Development Center in Hampton on Thursday, April 11 from 10 a.m.- 2:30 p.m.
Sponsored by Thomas Nelson Community College Workforce Development, Southeast Virginia (SEVA) Rapid Response and the Peninsula Council for Workforce Development, the Summit will link employers with free state and regional resources.
|Category: Workforce||Comments Open|
|Tags: Chamber Training, Customer Service Training, Hospitality Training, Prepare Care Share Training|
The Historic Triangle area has been ranked a top destinations in the USA, and in 2011 the Travelers’ Choice “#1 Family Choice Award went to Williamsburg, Virginia. To prepare employees and residents to serve the needs of tourists, Thomas Nelson Community College (TNCC) Workforce Development and the Greater Williamsburg Chamber and Tourism Alliance partner each year to provide free training to local businesses, organizations and individuals.
With this exciting training, anyone can become an ambassador for Williamsburg and the Historic Triangle.
Prepare, Care, ShareSM Hospitality Training is a two-part course open to anyone – that’s right, anyone – who lives or works in the Triangle area. The training helps participants better understand visitors’ needs, creating better ambassadors for the region. To date, over 4600 individuals have benefited from the program.
|Category: Events, General News, Workforce||Comments Open|
|Tags: leadership training, Peninsula Workforce Development Center, workforce development|
Community business leaders can access the knowledge and experience of world-renowned leaders by attending the Chick-fil-A® Leadercast® at Thomas Nelson Community College (TNCC) in Hampton, Va. from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Friday, May 10.
Chick-fil-A® Leadercast® is a one-day leader development event broadcast LIVE from Atlanta, Ga. to hundreds of sites throughout the nation, including TNCC’s Workforce Development Office in the Peninsula Workforce Development Center (PWDC). Speakers for this year’s event include:
- Jack Welch, Former Chairman and CEO of General Electric
- Andy Stanley, Best-selling leadership author and communicator
- Mike Krzyzewski, Head men’s basketball coach, Duke University and Team USA
- John Maxwell, Best-selling author and leadership expert
- Dr. Henry Cloud, Best-selling author and leadership consultant
- LCDR Rorke Denver, Navy SEAL and star of the 2012 movie Act of Valor
- Sanya Richards-Ross, 2012 London Olympic gold medalist, track & field
- David Allen, Best-selling author of Getting Things Done and productivity expert
- Condolezza Rice, Secretary of State (2005-2009), via exclusive Simply Lead video interview
|Category: General News, Workforce||Comments Open|
|Tags: Computer Classes, Ethical Hacking, Hampton OSHA Training, information technology, IT Training, OSHA Training, training, workforce|
Thomas Nelson Community College Workforce Development is offering the following new training programs for businesses and their employees in March.
- Ethical Hacking – March 12- April 18, Tuesdays and Thursdays (6-10 p.m.) – Designed for IT professionals, this training will enhance workers’ abilities to recognize weaknesses and vulnerabilities in target systems and use the same knowledge and tools as malicious hackers to protect their business from attacks. To register, call 757-825-2937. $2000. This course is offered at the Peninsula Workforce Development Center at 600 Butler Farm Road in Hampton.
- OSHA Training – Offered at a TNCC location or at a client’s location, this 10-hour course will cover general hazards as well as hazards communications. To register or schedule a class, call 757-865-3122. $250.
Thomas Nelson Community College Workforce Development delivers market-responsive training to meet the demands of today’s job. To learn more visit www.tncc.edu/workforce .
TNCC and the VPCC Present the Peninsula Executive Leadership Forum on Tuesday, February 26 at 8 a.m.
|Category: Events, Workforce||Comments Open|
|Tags: Peninsula Leadership Forum|
Thomas Nelson Community College Workforce Development (TNCC-WD) and the Virginia Peninsula Chamber of Commerce (VPCC) present the Peninsula Executive Leadership Forum to be held on Tuesday, February 26 from 8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. at the Peninsula Workforce Development Center located at 600 Butler Farm Road, adjacent to the TNCC Hampton campus.
John R. Lawson II, President and Chief Executive Officer of W.M. Jordan Company, one of the largest and most successful general contractors in Virginia, is the February forum’s guest speaker. Lawson will share his insight on the characteristics that have made his company a success and how those characteristics can be nurtured in any business.
|Category: Awards, General News, Workforce||Comments Open|
|Tags: Community College Collaborative, public-private partnership, Workforce Training Award|
Dr. Deborah George Wright, Vice President of Workforce Development at Thomas Nelson Community College, has been awarded the Virginia Community Colleges System’s Expanding Workforce Opportunity Award for her leadership in public-private workforce development partnerships. The award was presented during the December Hire Education Conference held in Hot Springs, Virginia.
Wright was honored for leading a collaborative that includes Virginia’s largest private employer, Newport News Shipbuilding (NNS), Thomas Nelson, Tidewater, Paul D. Camp, Rappahannock and Eastern Shore Community Colleges and the Virginia Community College System (VCCS).