The Louise H. Young Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a graduating high school senior who has excelled academically and has helped others through civic work and/or extracurricular activities. Preference will be given to students who include a letter of recommendation from a teacher and a statement of nomination, preferably from a school guidance counselor.
While not required, applicants will be given preference if they also include:
- Letter of recommendation written by a teacher; and
- Statement of nomination, usually written by the student’s guidance counselor, not to exceed two single-spaced typewritten pages which include:
- A description of the ways in which academic excellence has been demonstrated, and
- A description of extracurricular activities and/or civic work.
- Virginia resident
- Graduate of one of the public high schools in the TNCC service area, which includes the cities of Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson, and Williamsburg, and the counties of James City and York
- Minimum high school GPA of 2.5
- Enrolled and maintain full-time student status