Scope: Information on Personal finance, debt & credit, mortgages, insurance, retirement planning.
General Searching Tips:
Call number areas to browse:
- HF 5415 Consumer behavior
- HG 3550 Credit, Debt, Loans
- HG179 Personal Finance
- HG 4527 Investing
- KF 750 Estate planning
- TX335 Shopping, Consumer education
Subjects to search (Library of Congress):
- Consumer credit
- Estate planning
- Personal finance
- Retirement planning
- Mortgage loans
- Residential real estate
IN THE LIBRARY:
Access to the subscription-based resources from off campus is available for TNCC faculty, staff, and registered students through the use of a proxy server. Click the link for instructions. Remote Access
- Consumers Index
- CQ Researcher
- EconLit – from Cambridge Scientific Abstracts. Note: this only gives you the citation and abstract; you would have to find the full article in print or on microfilm at TNCC or at another college.]
- Factiva – allows you to search for articles by using free-text terms or by using their Intelligent Indexing. You can also use this database to get a company profile. It helps focus your efforts to take advantage of their Intelligent Indexing.
- Project Muse Full-text Journals – Go to the subject listings to find several journals in Economics, Marketing, and Public Policy (among others)
- Regional Business News – access to 75 business journals, newspapers, and newswires
- AARP – For Americans aged 50 and over, AARP provides advice on retirement planning, dealing with the economic crisis, Social Security concerns, etc.
- Big Charts – Investment research web site provides access to professional-level research tools like interactive charts, quotes, industry analysis, intraday stock screeners, as well as market news & commentary.
- Bloomberg – Broad range of information on stocks, the markets, and personal finance.
- Center for Responsible Lending – Non-profit organization devoted to fighting predatory lending practices. Covers the current housing crisis and subprime mortgage market meltdown.
- Dollar Stretcher – Current tips for “living better for less.”
Trading Tools – Includes AMEX, Dow Jones Industrial Average,
S&P, major market indices, live charts, historicals, etc.
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) – “Quick Links for Consumers and Communities” features news on bank closings and information on real estate and housing, as well as banking tools and resources.
- Financial Report of the United States Government – Annual report from the U.S. Treasury, laying out the country’s financial picture with real accounting and audited numbers.
- Finance.yahoo.com includes historical daily quotes for Dow Jones Industrial Average, NASDAQ, S&P, and more.
- FINRA: The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority – Provides regulatory oversight for U.S. securities firms. Individual investors can use the site’s articles and calculator for evaluating investment options.
- Fortune Magazine – Careers, companies, investor, small business as
well as other financial information.
- Internal Revenue Service – Besides tips for end-of-year tax planning and downloadable tax forms, the site offers information on lien relief for financially distressed homeowners.
- Living Trust Network - Repository of estate planning information includes an attorney directory, Q&As with lawyers, community forums, and a newsletter.
- Mortgage Bankers Association – A consumer channel links to the Home Loan Learning Center, free courses for home buyers, and the Reverse Mortgage Lending Resource Center.
- Mymoney.gov – This site of the U.S. Financial Literacy and Education Commission disseminates financial information rom 20 federal agencies, including tips on avoiding foreclosure rescue scams, dealing with creditors if you’ve lost your job, and more.