Published: April 26, 2007
Thomas Nelson Community College’s Office of Public Relations, Marketing, and Special Events earned 15 state and national awards for its 2005-2006 multimedia promotional campaign.
“Supporting the mission of Thomas Nelson Community College by telling its story in as many creative ways as possible reaching out to as large an audience as possible is what truly drives our team. These dedicated individuals always strive to produce quality material essential to strategically positioning the College and our brand in the communities we serve,” said Cecilia Ramirez, Director of Public Relations, Marketing and Special Events. “The administration, particularly Thomas Nelson President Charles A. Taylor and College Board, is extremely supportive of our efforts having set public relations and marketing among initiatives outlined in the College’s long range strategic plan,” she added. “We submitted 28 entries to several professional organizations with ties to higher education and we are extremely pleased to be acknowledged by our peers.”
The team captured three Virginia Community Colleges Association (VCCA) awards and an honorable mention from the organization; nine Admissions Marketing Advertising Awards; one Council for Advancement and Support for Education (CASE) award, District III and an award from the National Council for Marketing and Public Relations (NCMPR).
The list of awards is as follows:
- First Place, Billboards/Signage Category for HRT bus advertising
- Second Place, College’s Internal Weekly Electronic Newsletter: E-Flagstaff
- Second Place, 3D Objects Category for “Spring into the Future” seeds packet
- Honorable Mention, SpaceTEC brochure (designed by Sherril Schmitz of Déjà vu Design, Inc. under the direction of Pat Taylor, Dean of Mathematics, Engineering and Technologies)
The VCCA received 191 entries from 17 colleges and the Virginia Community College System for its 2006 Excellence in Communications Awards. Founded in 1983, the VCCA promotes the development and advancement of community college education in the Commonwealth.
Admissions Marketing Advertising Awards
- Gold, Public Relations Program
- Silver, Imprinted Materials, “Spring into the Future” seeds packet
- Bronze, Video/CD View book, Explore. Excel. Succeed
- Bronze, Publication/Internal, President’s Newsletter
- Merit, Logo/Letterhead Logo Design
- Merit, Radio Ad/Single, Articulation Agreements
- Merit, Radio Ad/Series, Faculty Experts
- Merit, TV Ad/Series, Explore the Possibilities
- Merit, Total Ad Campaign, Explore. Excel. Succeed.
The annual Admissions Advertising Awards is the oldest and largest educational advertising awards competition in the country. The organization issued more than 2,100 awards this year from a field of over 1,200 colleges, universities and secondary schools nationwide as well as from several foreign countries.
CASE (District III) Awards
- Finalist, Radio Program/Announcements category for TNCC Faculty Experts
CASE’s District III includes more than 1,000 colleges, universities and secondary institutions in the Southeastern United States. The organization, which has the most competitive awards program in the nation, received more than 1,100 entries for 2006.
- Finalist, Radio Announcement
The only organization of its kind, NCMPR exclusively represents marketing and PR professionals at community, technical and junior colleges and currently has more than 1,550 members from more than 600 colleges across the United States, Canada and Bahamas.
Photo Caption: (From left to right) Members of the Public Relations & Marketing team Michelle Shonk, David Nolan, Maritza Davila, James Holmes, Cecilia Ramirez, Judy Jones, Belinda Baker and Marlene Waters display the various awards received by the team.
|Category: Awards||Tags: award, public relations, VCCA|