Charles and Mary Hastings were long-time residents of the Peninsula and founded the Hastings Instrument Company in 1944, in Hampton. Charles was a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and Mary a graduate of the College of William and Mary. The Charles and Mary Hastings Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a graduating high school senior who has excelled academically and has helped others through civic work and/or extracurricular activities.
- Letter of recommendation written by a teacher; and
- Statement of nomination, usually written by the student’s guidance counselor, not to exceed two single-spaced typewritten pages which include:
- A description of the ways in which academic excellence has been demonstrated, and
- A description of extracurricular activities and/or civic work.
- Resident of the city of Hampton, Virginia;
- Student must be in financial need under the same criteria for federal grant programs;
- Minimum high school GPA of 2.5; and
- Enrolled and maintain full-time student status.