Security+ Certified Professional
Security+ is a CompTIA certification that measures the technical knowledge of networking professionals in the IT industry. The Security+ certification is targeted for candidates with at least two years on-the-job networking experience with an emphasis on security, or students that have passed CompTIA’s A+ or Network+ exams.
Earning a CompTIA Security+ certification demonstrates proof of your expertise in security topics, such as communication security, infrastructure security, cryptography, access control, authentication, external attack and operational and organization security. Increasingly, government agencies and contractors in the U.S. are having to comply with new laws or directives that require them to demonstrate that they have skilled workers in place to help counteract the risk of confidential information getting into criminal hands.
Learn how to successfully configure, execute, construct, and troubleshoot network security to ensure the threat of viruses is minimized or negated. This course prepares you for the CompTIA Security+ Exam. Notice: All CompTIA certifications acquired spring 2011 or later are no longer good for life and will require recertification on annual basis.
This 40-hour course uses the official CompTIA curriculum and is taught by experienced & certified professionals. Successful completion of A+ Certified Technician and Network+ Certified Professional or equivalent is required before enrolling in Security+ Certified Professional course. Participant must submit a waiver request letter with transcript copy, resume, and or credential copy to the Office of Workforce Credentials & Continuing Education, 525 Butler Farm Rd, Suite 725, Hampton, VA 23666 or fax 757-825-2960 or call 757-825-2937 for scan email address. Required textbook and one exam voucher are included.
WCG & FANTIC Grant approved
Passing the CompTIA Security+ certification exam validates your ability to:
- explain the security functions of common network devices and technologies
- apply and implement secure network administration principles & procedures
- implement and configure a wireless network in a safe and secure manner
- identify security threats and perform risk mitigation activities
- understand applicable policies, laws and regulations of IT security
- explain the impact and proper use of environmental controls
- understand data cryptography and can apply cryptographic tools
- explain the concepts of user authentication, authorization & access control
- exemplify the concepts of data Confidentiality, Integrity & Availability - a.k.a. the "CIA Triad"
- identify and analyze common attacks, e.g., social engineering, malware, application & wireless attacks
Register for classes using the Thomas Nelson Workforce Development Online Registration System.