Published: September 23, 2011
Now that the Fall 2011 Semester has started and census (the last day to receive a refund) has passed for the 16-week session, the Financial Aid Office is preparing the process of authorizing financial aid. This will be applied toward tuition, fees, and bookstore charges, if you used financial aid to purchase your books and supplies.
Please keep in mind a few elements:
- Students who are enrolled in a combination of sessions (16-week, 8-week 2, 5-week 3, etc.) will experience a delay in their refunds being processed. For example, there is a separate census date for classes that occur in the 8-week 2 session. In this example, TNCC is unable to process refunds for those students until after the 8-week 2 census date which is October 27, 2011. Check your class schedule to see when your classes begin and refer to the Academic Calendar on the TNCC website.
- The Financial Aid Office has to review every financial aid recipient to verify their enrollment and if it has changed from the initial award. The College is required to adjust your award to your actual rate of enrollment. For example, if you were awarded a Pell Grant as a full-time student, but are actually enrolled half-time, TNCC will need to adjust your award to half-time enrollment for fall.
- After enrollment is verified, the College will begin the authorization process to disburse the financial aid funds. The Financial Aid Office will follow this sequence: scholarships (both private and college scholarships), student loans, then federal and state grants. We expect to begin this process Monday, September 26, 2011.
- After authorization and disbursement is completed for each aid program, the Business Office will apply the funds to your tuition, fees, and bookstore charges. If you have money remaining, they will request a refund check for you. It can take 7-10 business days for state offices in Richmond to process your refund check. Your check will be mailed from the State Treasury Office in Richmond.
- Refund checks will be mailed to the address that you have on file with Thomas Nelson Community College. Check your My TNCC account to confirm your mailing address. If your address has changed, you can update the information on your MyTNCC account. You can also monitor your MyTNCC account to view when your financial aid was applied toward your account and when the refund check was requested. If you are unsure as to how to access your account, contact the Help Desk by phone at 757.825.2709, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by stopping in Wythe Hall, Room 249 on the Hampton Campus.
|Category: Student Information||Tags: 2011, census, check, disbursement, fall, financial aid, funds, notice, process, refund|