The student is responsible for self-identification and for obtaining and presenting disability documentation from a professional who is qualified to assess his/her particular disability.
Students should contact Disability Support Services at (757) 825-2827 or (757) 825-2833 to schedule an appointment with the Disability Support Services counselor. For Historic Triangle campus students, call (757) 253-4331 to schedule an appointment with the Disability Support Services counselor.
TDD users may call (757) 825-2853, use the Virginia Relay service, or contact by email to schedule their appointment.
We recommend that students contact the office before the start of the semester in order to ensure that necessary services and accommodations are in place for the first day of class. Students will need to provide appropriate documentation at the initial appointment.
Registering With Us
- Register with us by filling out our Student Intake Form (located under Disability Support Services on our Enrollment & Aid Forms page)
- Provide a copy of your class schedule to Disability Support Services before the start of each semester.
- Make arrangements each semester to pick up or have your letters mailed to you. The letter will only state that you are a student with a disability & the accommodations that you are to receive. Your specific disability WILL NOT be noted on the letter. It is your decision to disclose or not to disclose the nature of your disability.
- Give the Accommodation Letter to your professors. This is the official communication with your instructors notifying them that you are eligible to receive accommodations.
- Once you have reviewed the accommodations with your instructor, both of you will sign the form, indicating agreement. The Accommodations Letter has two parts – please return the white copy to Disability Support Services in Room 323.Your instructor may keep the yellow copy.
By law, you do not have to tell your instructor the nature of your disability.
Accommodations begin at the time you give the letter to faculty. If you forget, or choose to wait, accommodations will not be provided for anything which occurred before faculty received the accommodations letter.
Contact Disability Support Services if problems occur. We are here to assist you if there are any problems regarding your accommodations, but it is your responsibility to let us know.