Become a Student
We are pleased that you have chosen Thomas Nelson Community College to continue your education. The college provides financially accessible, high quality, comprehensive educational programs and services to meet the educational needs of citizens of all ages and to support the economic development of the Commonwealth.
Please follow the steps below to begin your enrollment. If you need assistance at any point, please contact us at 757.825.2800 and we will be happy to assist you.
The 6 steps to begin your academic career at Thomas Nelson.
Explore, Excel, Succeed at Thomas Nelson Community College. Please check your email account often for important communication from the College.
Apply for Admission to Thomas Nelson Community College online:
Be sure to avoid these common application errors:
- Provide a complete mailing address so TNCC information can reach you.
- Provide your Social Security Number (SSN) so that your Financial Aid can be awarded to you
- If you are pursuing a degree, make sure you select CREDIT and not CEU in Part I.
- Once you submit your application, make sure you print a copy. The application indicates your domicile status (in-state or out-of-state) and shows your Student ID (EMPLID) number, and your student email address.
- Please login to MyTNCC and check your email immediately. You will begin receiving important messages from the College. If you are not able to login, please see Step 4 regarding Registration Workshops.
Virginia Domicile: for detailed information on establishing Virginia Domicile, please click here:
High School and home schooled students: High school juniors and seniors may dual enroll with permission of their high school principals (or home schooling parents) after satisfactory completion of TNCC placement tests. Dual enrolled students are not eligible to take developmental courses or physical education courses, and cannot receive financial aid. For more information on dual enrollment opportunities, please call 757-825-2706 or click here:
Senior Citizens: Under the Senior Citizen Higher Education Act of 1974, students at least 60 years of age who have been domiciled in Virginia for one year are eligible to audit up to three courses per semester free. Additionally, if their federally taxable income did not exceed $10,000 for the year preceding enrollment, they may take credit courses without cost. The first registration date for those taking advantage of the Senior Citizens Program is published on the Academic Calendar. Please note that classes fill early and selection is limited. The college complies with the Senior Citizens Higher Education Act of 1974. The Enrollment Services staff should be consulted for details and assistance at 825-2800 (room 208, Griffin Hall or the Historic Triangle Office of Student Services, room 117).
If you attend a 4-year college or university and intend to take a summer class to transfer back to your school, you are a visiting student. Welcome! We are happy to have you for the summer. In order to expedite your registration in summer classes, please visit the schedule of classes to see what is available to you.
Once you have found your class, please follow the procedure below:
- Complete an application for admissions online.
- Fax or email the following documents to VisitingStudents@tncc.edu or 757.825.2763 (fax):
- A complete unofficial transcript.
- A completed and signed Visiting Student Enrollment Form.
- Your registration will be completed within 48 hours. Check MyTNCC to view your class schedule. You will receive a confirmation to your VCCS email account.
- Pay your tuition, buy your books, get your student ID and parking decal and have a great summer semester!
We hope you enjoy your summer at Thomas Nelson Community College and that we see you back next year!
NOTE: Thomas Nelson Community College has an appeal process for students who may have been academically suspended or dismissed from TNCC or a previous college or university. These students are required to complete the appeal process before registering for classes. If you have been suspended or dismissed, please click on the appropriate link for more information.
Please note there are established dates for submitting the appeals. The deadline for appealing are:
- Spring Semester – October 31
- Summer Semester – March 31
- Fall Semester – July 10
- Apply for Financial Aid online here: FAFSA Online
Visit FAFSA Online or call Financial Aid Services at (757) 825-2848. You can also receive scholarship information at this office which is located on the Hampton Campus, Griffin Hall room 209.
Eligibility for Financial Aid: Financial Aid is usually awarded based on financial need but can be awarded based on merit or a combination of factors. You must be in a degree seeking program to be eligible for federal financial aid. Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):
- If you used a 999999999 Social Security Number for admission, you must change it to your correct SSN to receive financial aid.
- Additional information about financial aid is available including links to scholarship search engines, loan forms, etc.
- FAFSA Online
TNCC Financial Aid Office:
- Financial Aid funds will be posted on MyTNCC or you may contact Financial Aid Services at (757) 825-2848 or email email@example.com.
- Follow these steps to determine your eligibility, complete the worksheets and apply for a PIN.
- Obtain a Personal identification number (PIN). Prior to applying for federal financial aid, you should obtain a PIN online at www.pin.ed.gov. This number serves as your electronic signature and may be used to file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), make corrections to your Student Aid Report (SAR), and monitor federal loans that you receive. If you are a dependent student, a parent should also request a PIN, which can be used as their electronic signature on the FAFSA.
- Complete the 2012-2013 FAFSA. The Department of Education recommends that you file the FAFSA online, but a paper version of the application is acceptable. Indicate TNCC as your school of choice on the FAFSA. TNCC’s Title IV school code is 006871.
- Apply by TNCC’s priority filing dates:
- May 1 for Fall Semester
- November 1 for Spring Semester
- April 15 for Summer Semester
- If you provided an email address on your FAFSA, you should receive information on how to access your SAR via email within 5 to 7 days after filing your FAFSA. If you did not provide an email address, your SAR will be mailed to you within 2 to 3 weeks after filing your FAFSA. If you do not receive your SAR, contact the Federal Processor at (800) 433-3243.
- Make corrections to your SAR if the information is incorrect or additional information is requested. You may make corrections online at FAFSA, using your PIN as your electronic signature. For questions about the correction process, please call the Federal Processor at (800) 433-3243.
- When your eligibility for financial aid has been determined and your awards are available for you to review, an email notification will be sent to your VCCS email address. You may also check your status online in SIS (PeopleSoft). Instructions on how to access SIS financial aid information is available.
- Login to MyTNCC
New students to Thomas Nelson Community College must take the Virginia Placement test unless they have qualifying scores from the SAT, ACT, or can show on a transcript that they have completed college level English Composition and math (College Algebra or higher) at an accredited college. Students seeking to be waived from testing must provide:
- SAT Scores taken within 2 years showing:
- 500 or higher in Critical Reading and
- 500 or higher in Writing
- 520 or higher in Mathematics
- ACT Scores taken within 2 years showing:
- English and Writing combined score 21 or higher and
- Mathematics 22 or higher
- AP Scores taken within two years showing
- English Composition scores of 3 or higher
- College Algebra or higher math scores of 3 or higher
SAT, ACT, and AP score reports should be submitted to the Admissions Office, Griffin Hall 206 at the Hampton Campus or Historic Triangle Campus, room 117.
Prior to testing, students should go to the Admissions Office, 206 Griffin Hall, Hampton Campus or Historic Triangle Campus room 117 for enrollment screening. For more information about testing, including how to practice, click here: www.tncc.edu/testing
Additional placement testing information:
- Placement Testing Procedures @ TNCC
- Placement Testing information
- Virginia Placement Test — Math and English Practice Test Directions (pdf)
- Virginia Placement Test — English Test Preparation Resources (pdf)
- Virginia Placement Test — Math Test Preparation Resources (including video)
Fort Eustis – 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month at 1:00 pm. Please contact Terri Payne at 757-878-2083 extension 255.
Langley Air Force Base and US Coast Guard Training Center Yorktown – By Appointment. Please contact Deborah Boothe at 757-766-1825
A pre-enrollment college orientation session for new students at Thomas Nelson Community College
In preparation for advising, registration and college success, all new Thomas Nelson students are required to complete a Gatortation session, before they can register for courses. Prior to completing Gatortation online, please view this Important Information. Afterwards, complete Gatortation online and print your Certificate of Completion.
New Students are defined as students who are seeking a Certificate or an Associate Degree, are required to enroll in English or Math developmental courses, or have accumulated 10 credit hours as non-curricular students. Gatortation is not required for students who have earned a Certificate, Associate Degree or higher or have completed SDV 100 (College Success Skills), 101, 108 or its equivalent course.
Counseling Services are offered in:
- Hampton Campus Griffin 201
- Historic Triangle Campus Room 117
Students are seen individually during walk-in hours. It is very important to see an advisor or counselor before registering.
- You can view the different Programs of Study available to you at TNCC.
- Contact Office of Student Success, Hampton Campus at (757) 825-2827 or Office of Student Services, Historic Triangle Campus at (757) 253-4755 for academic advising, counseling, college success seminars, etc.
TNCC offers Registration Workshops at the Hampton Campus for new and continuing students who need assistance navigating the Student Information System (SIS) MyTNCC. Sessions are offered every day and students can sign up here:
- Refer to the Academic Calendar to see when you can register online and in-person.
- Refer to the Schedule of Classes for course offerings each semester at the Hampton Campus, Historic Triangle Campus and the Southeast Higher Education Center.
New Student Experience
(Fall and Spring Semesters Only)
The New Student Experience is a program designed for new, degree and certificate seeking Thomas Nelson students as an introduction to all aspects of student life, campus services, resources, as well as policies and procedures. New Student Experience complements SDV 100, the 1-credit hour College Success Skills course.
Upon successful completion of the program, participants should have the ability to identify resources, services, and online tools that will enhance their academic success and gain a general understanding of academic requirements, financial aid processes, policies and procedures.
Register for ONE New Student Experience session at www.tncc.edu/nse
Options for Paying Tuition and Fees:
- Students have several options for paying your tuition including the Nelnet budget plan (tuition payment plan).
- For information on tuition and fees for each semester review information available on TNCC.edu or contact the Business Office at (757) 825-2721.
- For paying in person in Hampton, please visit the Business Office, Hampton Campus, Diggs Hall, Room 109 or call (757) 825-2721.
- For paying in person in Williamsburg, please visit the Cashier’s Office, Historic Triangle Campus Room 116, or call 757.825.2721
- Instructions for making a payment online (pdf)
- For payment by mail:
- Thomas Nelson Community College, ATTN: Cashiers, 99 Thomas Nelson Drive, Hampton, VA 23666. Please allow
Procedures for ID Cards and Parking Permits
Students are required to have TNCC Photo IDs which are available in the Photo ID Office, Hampton Campus, Diggs Hall, Room 155, or ID Office, HT Campus Room 116. Please have all 3 items when obtaining Student ID:
- State or Government Issued Identification such as DMV ID card or Driver’s License
- Student or EMPLID Number
- A copy of current semester schedule
All vehicles parked on campus and at all locations where TNCC classes are being held must display a current TNCC parking permit. Failure to register your vehicle and display a current parking permit may result in the receipt of a parking citation, towing, or wheel lock.
- The cost of the initial permit for each school year is included in the tuition and fees. A permit must be obtained within ten (10) days of the start of classes. Additional permits (including replacements for lost or stolen permits) can be purchased at the Cashiers Window for a $12 fee each.
- You must be enrolled in at least one class to purchase a decal or get your Student Photo ID.
- To obtain a parking permit, you must present a current vehicle state registration card, some form of picture identification, and an EMPLID number. Permits may be purchased in the Business Office, Diggs Hall, Room 109, or Cashier’s Office Room 116, Historic Triangle Campus
- The online application for parking permits is here: Online Parking Application
Options for Purchasing Textbooks:
You will need your course information: subject, catalog number and section (i.e. ACC 211 01H) Financial Aid students can complete the book order form. Any remaining funds after tuition is paid can be used to purchase textbooks. Bookstore lines can be very long on the first few days of class. Please take advantage of the TNCC online bookstore and save yourself the wait. If you decide to go in person to the bookstore, check for scheduled dates.
- Bookstore locations:
- Hampton Campus, Griffin Hall, Room 215, (757) 825-2864
- Historic Triangle, Room 128, (757) 258-6547
- TNCC Online Bookstore