Important Tips for the English Placement Test
- The VPT-English contains an essay component that weighs heavily and therefore you must complete the essay in addition to the multiple choice sections to receive a placement score. If the essay is skipped, it is considered blank which results in an automatic ABE (Adult Basic Education) placement for you.
- Make sure that you are prepared to take the placement test and have adequate time to complete the test in its entirety.
- Please refrain from cutting and pasting the essay prompt into the text box since this action may not generate a valid score on the essay component.
- During the essay portion, express your ideas in a clear and coherent manner, using more than 250 words and multiple paragraphs.
- The VPT-English is not intended for ESL students.
Students must obtain an Applicant Information Form from the Admissions Office, Room 208 Griffin Hall (Hampton campus) or Suite 117 (Historic Triangle campus). The form will indicate the placement test(s) that the student is required to take based on a pre-screening process implemented by Admissions Office personnel.