Financial Aid : Student Checklist
Thomas Nelson Community College Financial Aid Checklist
1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) early at www.fafsa.gov. Apply before May 1st to insure aid will be available when tuition is due. Our school code is 006871.
2. Review your Student Aid Report (SAR) for any errors and correct them immediately to prevent any delays in your financial aid processing.
3. Check your VCCS e-mail account regularly and your “To Do” list through the My TNCC portal for requests and news from Financial Aid Services.
4. Respond as quickly as possible for requests for information from Financial Aid Services. Failure to submit documents or additional information will delay financial aid being available.
5. Make sure you have a valid Social Security Number on your admission application: leaving it blank or using all 9s will delay your financial aid process. Contact the Welcome Center to correct your Social Security Number and then notify Financial Aid Services.
6. Make sure you have updated your program/plan of study so that it is an eligible program for financial aid. Career Exploration, High School Student, Transfer are examples of ineligible program plans. Contact the Advising Center to update your program plan and then notify Financial Aid Services.
7. Register for classes early and try to enroll in the earlier sessions (16 week, eight week 1) to prevent delays in receiving your financial aid refunds.
8. Attend your classes and if you are unable to attend, contact your instructors. This is important the entire semester, but especially the first week. Students who do not show up the first week risk the chance of being dropped from their classes.
9. If you are having difficulties in your classes—ask for help! If you are considering withdrawing from your classes, check with Financial Aid Services first. Withdrawing can have academic as well as financial implications for you.
10. Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress to keep your financial aid from being cancelled. Visit the Financial Aid Services’ website to view the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.
11. Make sure your address is correct to insure you receive any refund checks. Check the portal and if your address is incorrect, update it immediately to avoid any delays.
12. There are no dumb questions when it comes to your financial aid. Contact our office when you have questions or concerns. We want you to be successful during your years at Thomas Nelson Community College.
Thomas Nelson Community College Financial Aid Services
PO Box 9407 Hampton, VA 23670