- Phone: (757) 825-2905
What are Career Pathways?
Career Pathways is a comprehensive program that provides a seamless transition for students from secondary to postsecondary education and the skilled workforce, and positions students for high wage, high demand, and/or high skill careers. A Career Pathway is a coherent sequence of rigorous academic and career/technical education (CTE) courses commencing in the secondary school and leading to an associate or baccalaureate degree and beyond, to industry-recognized certification, and/or to nationally or state-recognized licensure. Career Pathways are developed, implemented, and maintained by partnerships of secondary and postsecondary education, business, and employers.
The vision of the Program is to
1) Foster collaboration among secondary schools, community colleges, universities, local and regional businesses, and industries
2) Develop the workforce necessary for sound economic development and global competitiveness
3) Improve and promote a viable workforce to sustain and grow healthy businesses and economic benefit for the citizens of the Greater Virginia Peninsula.
The mission of the Program is to support and create learning experiences for students enrolled in career pathways and connect them to businesses and industry in the TNCC service area and to transition students to high technology, high wage, and high demand occupations and to encourage students to pursue postsecondary degrees and industry-valued certifications.
What is a Career Pathway?
A Career Pathway integrates two years of career-technical high school courses with a two-year technical program at the community college. The program provides for the transfer of designated high school courses (dual enrollment courses) to Thomas Nelson Community College. Career Pathways provide coherent sequences of rigorous academic and career-technical courses. These courses begin in high school, continue in college, and lead to an Associate’s or Baccalaureate Degree, an industry-recognized certificate, and/or a license.
Career Pathways Benefits to Students
- Allows students to advance more quickly toward a chosen career
- Can save both students and their families time and money
- Engages students in courses tied to valuable workplace skills
- Provides important career-related experiences
Where can I find more information?
- Check with your high school career and technical education teacher or with your high school counselor
- Kris Rarig, Director of Enrollment Management, (757) 825-2095, *protected email*