Academic Planning and Transfer

The Academic Planning and Transfer Center offers a variety of services designed to ensure the seamless transfer of students to four-year colleges or universities to complete their baccalaureate degree. The Academic Planning and Transfer Center is located in Room 201L in Griffin Hall within the Admissions and Welcome Center. College catalogs, transfer guides, and articulation agreements are available for reference. Students can also obtain information on educational institutions both in and outside of Virginia.

The Virginia state policy on transfer aims to enhance cooperation and consistency among institutions of higher education in Virginia. For comprehensive information on transfer opportunities for Virginia Community College students, please visit the website.

Important Announcements:

Planning and Transfer Documents:

Contact Academic Planning and Transfer

  • Phone: (757) 825-3647 (Hampton)
  • Phone: (757) 253-4755 (Williamsburg)
  • Hampton Campus, Griffin Hall 201L
  • Historic Triangle Campus Room 117

Hours of Operation:

  • Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday: 8 am – 5 pm
  • Thursday: 8 am – 7 pm
  • Friday: 8 am – 5 pm (Summer only 8am-12pm)

Things to consider when transferring to a four-year college or university» Plan» Services Provided by the Academic Planning and Transfer Center» Steps to transfer to a four-year college» Institutions with Articulation Agreements with TNCC» Institutions with Guaranteed Admission Agreements with TNCC»

Frequently Asked Questions about Academic Transfer

1. Do the Associate of Applied Science and Associate of Applied Arts degrees transfer?»

2. Are developmental courses transferable?» 3. Am I required to apply to the four-year college and pay the application fee?» 4. When I transfer to a four-year college, will I continue paying the community college rate?» 5. What is an articulation agreement?» 6. What is guaranteed admission?» 7. What if I want to transfer to a college or university that doesn't have an agreement?» 8. How many of my credits will the four year institution accept?» 9. What is a Transfer Grant?» 10. What is the William & Mary co-enrollment program?» 11. Will I have the opportunity to meet with four-year college representatives at TNCC?» 12. How do I transfer to a four year college?» 13. What is a letter of intent?»

Mary Baldwin College contact information
For information about MBC, please contact Kerry Mills at (804) 282-9162 at the TNCC Historic Triangle Campus Room 317-S, or e-mail

Old Dominion University contact information
For information about ODU, please contact Donna Savage at 766-5200 or e-mail

Academic Planning Resources

The Academic Planning & Transfer Center is dedicated to assisting students planning to transfer to a four year college.

Students intending to transfer to a four year college are advised to select an A.S. (Associate of Science) or A.A.(Associate of Art) degree at TNCC.

We provide information to help with decision making concerning the college (for example, transfer admission GPA requirements, application deadlines, transfer course equivalencies, etc.)

Planning Resources» Transfer Guides»

  • What is your chosen career
  • Which colleges/universities offer that degree
  • What degree at TNCC matches that degree
  • Is there an articulation agreement with the school of your choice
  • What courses need to be taken at TNCC

  • Your degree
    • Classes needed to meet the requirements of the four-year college
    • Additional requirements to consider for the four-year college
      • Foreign language – is one needed
      • Math – what level
      • Lower degree requirements
      • GPA for admittance to the four-year institution
  • Your semesters
    • Which classes are required for the degree and which semester you will need to take those classes – put your plans on paper
  • Your courses
    • If you need developmental classes take them when you first start at TNCC
    • Know the prerequisites for your courses

Articulation within the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) is a dynamic process. The most reliable source of transfer information is the admission office at a four year college. Students are encouraged to take a proactive role in confirming transfer information. For college specific transfer information contact an academic advisor, counselor, academic planning specialist or admission office of any Virginia community college or four year university & ask for a transfer guide.

  • Assist students with choosing a college/university
  • Assist students with choosing a major
  • Provide information about articulation and guaranteed admission agreement
  • Provide information about four year college transfer admissions requirements
  • Provide academic advising for selection appropriate transfer course equivalencies
  • Serve as liaison with four year college/university representatives

Thomas Nelson Community College has agreements with the four-year colleges and universities in the state of Virginia. Developed jointly by representatives from the Virginia Community College System and the four-year institutions, these agreements, also known as “two-plus-two” programs, allow the community college student to complete the equivalent of the first two years of an undergraduate degree and satisfy the basic degree requirements for that degree. Such students transfer to the four-year institution with junior status, and may complete requirements for a selected bachelor’s degree in two years, assuming they enroll full-time at the four-year college or university.

Students electing to follow an articulation agreement (also known as two plus two agreements) should visit the Academic Planning & Transfer Center to sign the required paperwork.

  1. Speak with an advisor/counselor during your first semester to choose a transferrable degree (A.S. – Associate of Science or Associate of Arts) from the TNCC catalog.
  2. During your first semester, visit the Academic Planning & Transfer Center in room 201L Griffin Hall and/or the four year college admission website to obtain transfer information to include articulation, guaranteed admission, co-enrollment agreements with TNCC and the VCCS.
  3. Request a transfer guide and college catalog for (minimum transfer GPA, minimum # of hours to be considered a transfer student, transferrable courses, application deadline dates, letter of intent).
  4. Obtain Open House/Transfer Day schedule from the four year college and plan to visit.
  5. Obtain the TNCC “Schedule of College Visits” from the Academic Planning & Transfer Center and plan to attend the college fairs.
  6. Obtain application deadline dates depending on which semester you are planning to transfer.
  7. Complete the application and any supporting forms such as mid-term reports, instructor evaluations/recommendations, college official’s report, etc.) for submission to the four year college by the deadline date. (Most colleges prefer online applications). Remember that most colleges require an application fee and official transcripts from previously attended colleges. Request your official TNCC transcript from the Enrollment Services Office in Griffin Hall. Some colleges require high school transcripts and SAT/ACT scores too.

  • Bellevue University
  • ECPI College of Technology
  • Embry Riddle Aeronautical University
  • Hampton University (Engineering & Nursing only)
  • Kaplan University
  • Norfolk State University
  • Old Dominion University
  • Radford University
  • Southern New Hampshire University
  • St. Leo University
  • Strayer University
  • Troy University
  • University of Maryland University College
  • University of Phoenix
  • Victory University
  • Virginia State University
  • Virginia Tech (College of Engineering & College of Agriculture and Life Sciences only)

  • College of William and Mary
  • Christopher Newport University
  • Emory & Henry College
  • Ferrum College
  • Lynchburg College
  • Mary Baldwin College
  • Norfolk State University
  • Old Dominion University
  • Radford University
  • Randolph College
  • Regent University
  • Regis University
  • Strayer University
  • Sweet Briar College
  • University of Phoenix
  • University of Mary Washington
  • University of Virginia
  • University of Virginia’s College at Wise
  • Virginia Commonwealth University
  • Virginia State University
  • Virginia Tech University
  • Virginia Union University
  • Virginia Wesleyan College

The Associate of Applied Science and Associate of Applied Arts degree programs are two-year degrees designed primarily to prepare students for employment in jobs in fine arts, music, photography, or a technical field. Although these curricula are not designed for transfer to a four-year college or university, in many cases the courses do transfer and there are some articulation agreements with four year colleges for these programs. Students are encouraged to consult with their faculty advisor when planning their curriculum. For example, Thomas Nelson has articulation agreements with Old Dominion University for the Associate of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology with General Education Certificate to Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology and the Associate of Science in Electronics Technology(Electrical Engineering Technology specialization) with General Education Certificate to Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering Technology: Electrical Systems Technology.

No. Only college level courses qualify for transfer to four year institutions. Developmental courses are designed to meet specific objectives essential for entry into college level courses.

Yes. You must apply to the four-year college and pay the application fee even if you have an articulation agreement. You must comply with their application deadlines and admissions requirements.

No. Upon transfer, you will be required to pay the senior institution tuition rate.

Representatives from four-year institutions have worked with representatives of TNCC or the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) to decide what courses should be taken at TNCC to fulfill the general education and lower degree requirements of the four-year college. This information is provided to the student so that the appropriate class selection can be made. Information is provided to the student either in the Academic Planning & Transfer Center or through discussion with a TNCC counselor. If TNCC has an articulation agreement with the four-year college in the degree you desire, it is to your advantage to sign the agreement as soon as you make your decision. The advantage of signing early is that you will know in advance the correct classes required for your desired bachelor’s degree program. You must follow the articulation agreement exactly as it is written.

Virginia’s community colleges offer students more than the opportunity to earn a degree or certificate; they provide a gateway to the Commonwealth’s four-year colleges. Through system-wide negotiated agreements, students who graduate from a Virginia community college with an associate’s degree and the minimum grade point average required by the four year college are guaranteed admission to many of the Commonwealth’s colleges and universities.

Because TNCC is accredited through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), our credits are transferable to most four-year colleges and universities. However, you will need to contact the college for specific course transfer information. Many colleges have transfer information on their web pages.

Some four year colleges will accept the AA and AS degrees for transfer in its entirety for fulfillment of General Education requirements. For those students who choose to transfer before completing a degree program, colleges will evaluate TNCC classes on a course-by-course basis. Most colleges require students to earn 24 – 30 credits to be considered a “transfer” student. If you do not meet their requirement, you will apply as a freshman applicant and submit official transcripts from high school and college. You can also contact the college and access “transfer guides” and information via the college’s website. Grades of “C” or better are generally transferable.

Students entering a Virginia community college in 2007 have an opportunity upon transferring to the four year college to qualify for the grant. For more information, contact the Academic Planning & Transfer Center or the Financial Aid Office at the four year institution upon transfer.

This agreement with The College of William and Mary allows TNCC students who have maintained a 3.5 GPA and completed a minimum of 15 credit hours in general education courses to enroll at both institutions at the same time. This program is for students who intend to earn an associate’s and a bachelor’s degree. To see if you qualify, you must complete an application and schedule an appointment with the TNCC/William & Mary College coordinator.

Yes. During the fall and spring semesters, monthly college fairs are held at the Historic Triangle and Hampton campuses. Additionally, there is a VACRAO transfer fair held at the Hampton Campus during the fall semester. Old Dominion University also has an undergraduate advisor available by appointment at the Hampton Peninsula Higher Education Center and Historic Triangle campus. Mary Baldwin College has an undergraduate advisor available by appointment at the Historic Triangle campus.

You must apply to the four year college by their deadlines. Most colleges will require you to pay an application fee and submit official transcripts from all colleges attended. You may also be required to submit high school transcripts and SAT/ACT scores. Most colleges prefer online submission of the application.

A letter of intent is an application requirement for many colleges and universities. It is also a requirement for some guaranteed admission agreements that outlines transfer guidelines and qualifications. It is a signed agreement to evidence your interest and intent to transfer to a specific college. It gives the college an opportunity to establish a relationship with a prospective student to facilitate a smooth transfer process.

Schools that require a Letter of Intent for Guaranteed Admission:

Transfer requirements and transfer course equivalencies for 4 year institutions with Thomas Nelson.

Approved Transfer Elective Courses List can be found on pages 42 and 43 of the 2011– 2012 TNCC College Catalog.

Pre-Teacher Education Transfer Articulation Agreements