Blackboard Learn (or simply Blackboard) is a web based learning management system used for online delivery of course material. Blackboard allows instructors to put their syllabi, lecture notes, PowerPoint presentations, and assignments online for students to access at anytime. The program also includes interactive features such as discussion boards and a virtual chat room.
Blackboard Learn 9.1 Service Pack 13 is currently available. The next Blackboard Learn upgrade is scheduled September 12, 2014. This link, https://help.blackboard.com/en-us/Learn/9.1_2014_04/Instructor/010_Whats_New provides what is to be expected in the next upgrade.
Bb 9.1 SP13 Features:
- Date Management – After you have copied a course, speed up the transition of old dates to new dates from one convenient location. To learn more, see Date Management.
- Assessment- *Best New Features*
- Test Access Log – The access log shows a detailed list of every interaction that students engage in when taking a test. If a student claims to have started a test, the log will show the time the test was started. If a network or internet disruption occurred during the test for example, the log would show an unusual gap in the time. To learn more, see Test Access Log.
- New Test Options - Instead of needing to create an entirely new test to accommodate a student, now you can simply create exceptions for several parameters including: Number of Attempts; Timer (example: many students are allowed extra time on tests); Availability outside of standard date/time restrictions; Force Completion (if they may need to exit and return to the test); You can also control when and how students see the results of their tests. To learn more, see Test and Survey Options.
- Group Management – Organize, manage, and monitor your virtual groups easily with the new improved workflow. To learn more, see Group Management.
- Achievements – The achievements tool allows instructors to designate criteria for issuing rewards to students in the form of both badges and certificates. To learn more, see Achievements.
- Inline Grading – Among the improvements is if the student has uploaded a file that isn’t in a format supported by the inline viewer, the Instructor is prompted to download the file in question instead of seeing the viewer. To learn more about the updated features, see Inline Grading.
- Math Editor – Among the improvements Blackboard has removed the dependence on Java which enables full math-editing capabilities on platforms that cannot run Java in browsers, including iOS. To learn more, see Using the Math Editor.
For all What’s New in Blackboard SP12 and SP13 see What’s New. Note: Not all features that Blackboard offers are available on our VCCS’s Blackboard Learn server. Such as xPlor or Cloud/Social Profile tools.
Blackboard 9.1 FAQ Source How do I enroll my “Student self” HTML How do I make a student “Unavailable” HTML How to make a content menu button available to student – (aka ‘Show Link’) HTML How to Modify, Remove, and Show/Hiding Menu Items HTML VIDEO Atomic Learning (Log in required) How Do I see All My Students? HTML What should I do about Course Duration HTML How do I make my course available to my students HTML VIDEO What File Types Are Supported HTML What Browsers and Operating Systems are Supported HTML Bb Knowledge Base How do I export my course? HTML How do I self-enroll in a Blackboard Organization? HTML VIDEO How to Enroll User? HTML Recommended Resources/Tutorials for New Faculty Source Semester Startup with Blackboard for New Faculty Managing Your ‘My Blackboard Courses’ Module HTML DDL Blog The Course Environment HTML VIDEO Blackboard Help Creating Course Menu Items HTML Blackboard Help Creating Assignments HTML Blackboard Help Course Files HTML VIDEO Blackboard Help Grade Center HTML Blackboard Help Managing Blackboard Source Managing Your ‘My Blackboard Courses’ Module HTML DDL Blog Content Collection (a.k.a. Content System or MyFiles) HTML DDL Blog Managing Course Files HTML DDL Blog Grade Center HTML Blackboard Help Transitioning between semesters with Blackboard Source Semester Startup with Blackboard for Current Faculty HTML DDL Blog Exporting your Course HTML DDL Blog Downloading the Grade Center HTML DDL Blog