TRiO Student Support
TRiO Student Support Services ProgramTRiO is a federally funded program designed to provide free academic support and encouragement to students who face economic, social, and cultural barriers to higher education.
TRiO offers academic and career counseling, assistance with financial aid and scholarship processes, college success skills development, supplemental math instruction, a Summer Bridge component for entering freshmen, peer mentoring, and educational enrichment activities to enrolled TNCC students who meet the federal eligibility requirements and program guidelines.
Office of TRiO Student Support Services
Griffin Hall, Room 222
Phone: (757) 825-3596
- GPA Calculation Form (pdf)
Eligibility Requirements Available Services Frequently Asked Questions
You are eligible for TRiO (Student Support Services) if you are a citizen or national of the United States or meet residency requirements for Federal Student Financial Aid and meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Low-income – Family taxable income should meet appropriate federal guidelines, as assessed by program director (Students who receive a Pell Grant and/or public aid usually meet this guideline.)
- First generation college student — Neither parent earned a four-year college degree.
- Student with a documented disability – Documentation of physical, mental or emotional disability within appropriate time frame.
All TRiO students must demonstrate the academic potential for graduating from TNCC and transferring to a four-year college. The support services offered by the program will help ensure this success.
Steps to applying to the program:
- Review eligibility (If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 825-3596).
- Call (757) 825-3596 or e-mail the director or counselor to make an appointment.
- Bring required documentation.
Please bring the following to accompany the application at first meeting with director or counselor:
- Current Financial Aid Awards (PELL grant) letter OR copy of most recently signed and filed 1040 tax form(s)
- If applicable, also bring appropriate disability documentation
- Counseling Services
The TRiO Director and Counselor are available daily for scheduled or walk-in appointments. Participants may receive counseling services for academic, or career needs and are required to meet with the Director and Counselor each semester to assess academic progress/needs, map transfer plans, evaluate goals and complete personal assessment instruments on study skills, learning styles, personality type and career interests.
- Tutoring Services
TRiO coordinates free tutoring services with TNCC’s Tutorial Learning Center. Tutoring may be requested voluntarily, referred by an instructor or recommended by the TRiO director or counselor. Please contact Susan Graves at email@example.com or 757-825-2804 to find out more information about tutoring services.
- College Success Skills Development
TRiO’s “Lunch and Learn” seminars, in conjunction with the Office of Student Success, target college success skills such as time management, test taking, study skills, stress management, learning styles and critical thinking. Workshops are purposely scheduled during the lunch hour in order for participants to eat and learn at the same time! These seminars offer concrete processes/ideas that give the participants academic/personal tools which enable them to be successful students. A copy of the seminar schedule is available in the TRiO office and Office of Student Success.
- Educational and Enrichment Activities
These activities, along with civic engagement and experiential activities are an integral component to TRiO. They offer exposure to various artistic and cultural expressions; increase awareness of music, art, theatre, cultural diversity, and allow participants to learn more about the community in which they live. Experiential activities are available to expose participants to career and vocational areas of interest. In this effort, the program sponsors special trips, activities and lectures each semester. Examples include trips to Washington, D.C., participating in tours at state and national museums, attending theater events and other must see performances/events.
- Assistance for Students with Disabilities
TRiO works in conjunction with the Office of Disability Services to reduce barriers to success. To receive academic accommodations, a student with a disability must first be registered with TNCC’s Disability Counselor. TRiO staff works with students with disabilities to assist them in advocating their needs and providing additional academic and personal support.
- Financial Aid/Scholarship Assistance
The TRiO office staff work closely with the school’s Financial Aid office and are able to help students navigate the federal student aid process. In addition, the program staff is able to help students identify and complete scholarship applications, review essays and serve as references.
WHAT IS THE TRiO STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES PROGRAM?
Student Support Services (SSS) is a federally funded TRIO grant program designed to provide supportive academic and personal services to a select number of eligible students at Thomas Nelson Community College. Students who meet the federal eligibility criteria and have the potential for achieving a college degree but need a support system in order to achieve this goal, are chosen for the program.
WHAT WILL TRiO STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES DO FOR ME WHILE IN COLLEGE?
Student Support Services was instituted at TNCC in an effort to give eligible students a better chance of success during their stay in college. The aim is to provide each participating student with support services ranging from study skills development, and tutoring to academic and career counseling. The goal is to identify the needs of each student and then build a customized educational plan of assistance.
WHAT SERVICES DOES THE TRiO STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES PROGRAM PROVIDE?
- Assessment targeting learning styles, study skills, personality type, and career path
- Personal assistance with your academic program, career exploration, and individual concerns
- Assistance with understanding financial aid and scholarship processes
- Individual tutoring
- Academic and personal success workshops
- Transfer assistance and four-year college visits
- Cultural enrichment activities – plays, museums, speakers, etc.
WHAT WILL TRiO STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES COST ME?
There are no fees for services received from the SSS program. However, the program will cost you your time, interest, and a commitment to fulfill your obligations as a Student Support Services participant (participation requirements).
*At times, there are fees associated with optional cultural enrichment activities sponsored by the program.
HOW CAN I BECOME A TRiO STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES PARTICIPANT?
Griffin Hall, Room 222
Phone: (757) 825-3596