Steps to Application
1. Ensure you are a Thomas Nelson student with a valid student ID number. To apply on-line, please visit https://tncc.edu/new to submit a college application. Placement tests may be required.
2. Submit official high school transcript.
- The placement test will not be administered before 2021 application deadline.
- Prospective students who apply after 2021 must be able to place into MTH154 after taking the placement test but do not have to complete MTH154 prior to application. MTH154 is recommended and may be required for students interested in completing a B.S degree in dental hygiene.
- If you attended high school in a foreign country and cannot obtain your transcript, your diploma will be accepted to show completion of secondary education. Please ensure translation if necessary. ENG and MTH placement testing will be required.
3. Submit official college transcripts of previous degree or courses taken (if seeking award of transfer credit for dental hygiene pre-requisite courses). Pre-req courses include: ENG111, BIO141 or BIO145, CHM101, BIO150 and, CST100, and SDV100. A grade of “C” or high must be attained in each of these pre-req courses. Grades for BIO courses expire after 10 years. Advanced placement may be awarded for SDV100 for applicants with a previous A.S. degree or higher.
4. CONTACT AN ADVISOR AT https://tncc.edu/advising/resources TO SET UP AN APPOINTMENT to discuss:
- Award of transfer credit for these courses from another institution (send official transcripts to Enrollment Services) and request evaluation of credit. Request for Transfer Evaluation Form
- Complete Course Substitution forms for these classes (if applicable). Course Substitution Request form
- Ensure all requirements are complete and ensure you are eligible to apply
5. Review DNH Information presentation slides No INFO session will be provided this admission period. If there are any questions, please email Christina Quirós at email@example.com or Tammera Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org
A certificate of attendance is no longer required, but attendance is highly recommended to ensure all requirements are met for successful application.
6. After the application period opens on January 15, submit your Notice of Intent to Apply to DentalHygieneApplicants@tncc.edu. Enrollment Services will pull all your academic records and prepare your curricular GPA, which must be above 2.5 to apply. Curricular GPA includes grades from ENG111, BIO141or BIO145, CHM101, BIO150, and CST 100 only. SDV100 is required as a pre-req to application, but is not included in the curricular GPA calculation.
Pass/Fail grades as a result of COVID changes for spring 2020 classes, will not be used in the calculation, but will be noted as completed and fulfilled for application requirements.
You will receive a reply with instruction for any missing requirements and to grant approval to submit your application.
7. Applicants must obtain a total of two references. One reference DNH Reference Fillable form from a Biology or Chemistry faculty member (full-time or adjunct) from any higher education institution is preferred and one professional reference. An additional professional reference can be submitted as an alternate provider if a BIO or CHM instructor reference cannot be obtained. Please complete the student section and send to the person completing the form. This form is a fillable PDF. Once complete, your reference providers will send this form direct to Enrollment Services at DentalHygieneApplicants@tncc.edu.
8. A resume for your work experience must also be submitted; a separate work experience form must also be submitted DNH Work Experience form along with the Chairside assisting form if applicable DNH Chairside Assisting form. If you are currently a Certified Dental Assistant, please submit your DANB certification as your supporting documentation. Submit your DD214 with your application if applicable. Submit resume with your application, along with all supporting documentation to DentalHygieneApplicants@tncc.edu.
• Complete the application for the dental hygiene program. Only ONE application is accepted per application period: DNH Application Fillable Form
Submit the completed application to DentalHygieneApplicants@tncc.edu by March 1, 2021.
PLEASE APPLY EARLY SO YOU HAVE TIME TO REVIEW AND PREPARE FOR TEAS
9. TEAS Admissions Testing – When your complete application packet is received in Enrollment Services, you will receive a confirmation email that will provide your TEAS test date and time. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, this exam will be remotely proctored this application period, so TEAS can be taken from your home; no need to come to campus. ATI TEAS Test Information
Please review these 3 flyers from ATI Testing so you are familiar with remote testing on your personal computer, create your ATI user ID, and are prepared for test day:
• TEAS Remote Quick Start for Students
• TEAS Remote Proctoring Instructions
• DNH Remote TEAS Step by Step
Since this is the first-time remote proctoring will be utilized, all applicants are highly encouraged to participate a dry-run TEAS assessment. These will be un-proctored assessments designed to test your connectivity at home, ensure you are able to log in and have access to the test, and to conduct ATI’s pre-check process. Please ensure you use the same computer for the dry run as you will use for the live exam to prevent delays and problems on test day. You can participate in two dry-run assessments at any time of your convenience to ensure you are comfortable with this test platform.
If you need a laptop to take this test, Library Services may be able to help.
• Laptop/Hotspot/Calculator/Webcam check out for students: Available to currently enrolled students on a first come, first served basis. Sign Up
If you have previously taken TEAS elsewhere, unfortunately, those results are not accepted by the nursing program. This exam must be taken through Thomas Nelson.
Scores are valid for one application cycle. The most recent score is counted, not the highest score.
TEAS is a 4-hour general knowledge exam and the $70 payment will be made when you log in on test day. This 4-part exam will test reading comprehension, grammar, science and math. ATI Testing is the test administrator; please visit their website at www.atitesting.com to purchase a practice test and remediation materials. Take a practice test to assess the areas in which you are weakest and then focus your studying in those areas. For test prep tips and test success, please also review the ATI TEAS SmartPrep site at: https://ati.docsend.com/view/mqwrbc3knxmrjpgi
PLEASE MONITOR THIS WEBSITE REGULARLY FOR UPDATES AND NEW INFORMATION
THANK YOU FOR APPLYING TO THOMAS NELSON’S DENTAL HYGIENE PROGRAM!
ACCEPTANCE/DECISION LETTERS WILL BE SENT ELECTRONICALLY TO STUDENT EMAIL ACCOUNTS on APRIL 30th.