Information and Forms Required for Nursing Application
STEPS TO APPLICATION
1. Ensure you are a Thomas Nelson student with a valid student ID number. To apply on-line, please visit https://tncc.edu/new to submit a college application. Placement tests may be required. Complete 5 pre-requisite courses with a grade of c or higher: ENG111, BIO141, HLT230, PSY230 and SDV10.
2. Submit official high school transcript.
- A grade of C for one year of high school Algebra and Chemistry is required by the Board of Nursing. If these courses were not completed in high school, they may be completed at the college level (MTH154 and CHM101). Math Modules 1-5 will also satisfy the high school algebra requirement.
- If you attended high school in a foreign country and cannot obtain your transcript, your diploma will be accepted to show completion of secondary education. Please ensure translation if necessary. ENG and MTH placement testing will be required.
- Official transcripts may be mailed directly from high school guidance offices to Enrollment Services (the best option) at 99 Thomas Nelson Drive, Hampton, VA 23666.
- A high school counselor can send your high school transcript attached in an email to NursingApplication@tncc.edu or Admissions@tncc.edu.
- High school transcripts emailed from student email addresses will not be accepted.
- If your high school transcript is in a sealed envelope, please deposit it in the drop box outside the Nursing Office (Room 747) in Hampton III. Please email PSAHHS@tncc.edu to let us know that you used the drop box, and arrangements will be made to retrieve it.
3. Submit official college transcripts of previous degree or courses taken (if seeking award of transfer credit for nursing pre-requisite courses (ENG111, BIO141, PSY230, HLT230 and SDV100).
Please visit Transcripts | Thomas Nelson Community College (tncc.edu) for more transcript and credit transfer information.
PN to Professional Nursing Career Studies Certificate students must also submit a copy of transcripts for their PN education and a copy of the PN license.
HLT230 is the current Nutrition course requirement. HLT138 is no longer accepted for HLT230 credit. HLT138 will not transfer for and cannot be substituted for HLT230.
4. CONTACT AN ADVISOR AT https://tncc.edu/advising/resources TO SET UP AN APPOINTMENT to discuss:
- Award of transfer credit for these courses from another institution (send official transcripts to Enrollment Services) and request evaluation of credit. [Transfer Credit Evaluation Form]
- Complete Course Substitution forms for these classes (if applicable). [Course Substitution Form]
- Ensure all requirements are complete and ensure you are eligible to apply.
5. Review Fall 2021 Nursing Information presentation slides [Fall'21 Info Session PP Presentation] and attend a virtual information session. A live review of the Fall 2021 application requirements and process, a brief overview of the nursing program, and a Q&A session with program head will be held on:
- Friday, August 27, 2021 at 1:00 pm - Click this Zoom Link to access this first information session: https://vccs.zoom.us/j/87386531993
- Friday, September 10, 2021 at 1:00 pm -Click this Zoom Link to access this first information session: https://vccs.zoom.us/j/87433231880
- Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 1:00 pm -Click this Zoom Link to access this first information session: https://vccs.zoom.us/j/81956115904 - Last Info session of the application period.
- Friday, October 22, 2021 at 1:00 pm - Click this Zoom Link to access this information session: https://vccs.zoom.us/j/87924451146 - Last Info session of the Fall 2021 term.
6. After the application period opens on September 1, 2021, submit your Notice of Intent to Apply. Applications, all the supporting documents, and this Notice of Intent are accepted at either the Hampon or Historic Triangle campuses. Please send an email from your @email.vccs.edu address to NursingApplication@tncc.edu at the Hampton campus or to Tammera Wright at email@example.com at the Historic Triangle Campus. This notice will prompt Enrollment Services to pull all your academic records and prepare your curricular GPA, which must be above 2.5 to apply. Curricular GPA includes grades from ENG111, BIO141, HLT230, and PSY230 only. In addition to these 4 classes, BIO142 is also required for PN to Profession Nursing Career Studies Certificate applicants. SDV100 is also a pre-requisite course, but it is not used in the GPA calculation. You will receive a reply with instruction for any missing requirements or grant approval to submit your application.
7. Obtain one reference [Reference Form] from a Biology or Health faculty member (full-time or adjunct) from any higher education institution is preferred. A professional reference may be submitted as an alternate provider if a BIO or HLT instructor reference cannot be obtained. Please complete the student section and send to the person completing the form. Once complete, your reference provider will send this form directly to Enrollment Services in Hampton at NursingApplication@tncc.edu or to Tammera Wright in Student Services at Historic Triangle Campus at firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in your application packet. References are accepted at either campus.
8. A resume for your work experience may also be submitted; this is highly recommended, but not required. Submit resume with your application to NursingApplication@tncc.edu or to email@example.com. Resumes are accepted at either campus.
9. Complete the application for the program you wish to apply (RN or PN to Professional Nursing Career Studies Certificate (CSC)).
For the RN degree program, applications will be ranked for Day and Evening/Weekend selection based on the cohort you select. If you also select EITHER, your application will be considered for the opposite cohort you select as well. For example, if DAYS is checked and EITHER is checked and all the spots for DAYS are filled, you could be placed in the EVENING/WEEKEND cohort.
If you select EITHER only, this means you have no preference and can be placed in either DAY or EVENING/WEEKEND cohorts depending on your ranking.
The PN to Professional Nursing CSC application is for a 2-course, day-only summer session. Upon completion of this certificate, applicants are eligible to join RN degree students in the 3rd semester and will receive advanced standing credit for 1st and 2nd semester courses.
- RN A.A.S. Degree Program [RN Application]
- PN to Professional Nursing Career Studies Certificate [PN to Professional Nursing CSC Application]. Submit PN transcript and PN license copy with your application.
Submit completed applications to NursingApplication@tncc.edu in Hampton or to Tammera Wright in Student Services at the Historic Triangle Campus at firstname.lastname@example.org before 5pm on September 30th for the RN Program and before 5pm on February 28th for the PN to Profession Nursing Career Studies Certificate Program.
PLEASE APPLY EARLY SO YOU HAVE TIME TO REVIEW
AND PREPARE FOR TEAS
10. TEAS Admissions Testing – When your complete application packet is received in Enrollment Services, you will receive a confirmation email that will provide your TEAS test date and time. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, this exam will be remotely proctored this application period, so TEAS can be taken from your home; no need to come to campus. [ATI TEAS Test Information]
Please review these 3 flyers from ATI Testing so you are familiar with remote testing and can begin to prepare. [TEAS Remote Proctoring Info for Students], [TEAS Remote Proctoring Instructions], and [Remote TEAS Step by Step]. Please do not register for a test at this time -- create your username and password for your ATI account only! Once remote proctoring capability is set up and confirmed, more information will be posted here.
TEAS Testing Schedule for Fall 2021:
Scheduling Information Will Be Updated as Test Dates Fill Up
50 Students Per Test Session
- Friday, September 24 from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
- 2nd test - Date TBD; from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
- Last TEAS of the fall application period - Date TBD; from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
PN to Profession Nursing Career Studies Certificate applicants – TEAS and Application Period are now Closed. Tests will be scheduled in January.
The day before your scheduled test, you will receive an email that contains your test ID number and test day instructions.
On test day, you will log in to www.atitesting.com, enter a test ID number that will be provided to you a few days before your scheduled test. You will receive an email the day before the test to provide more direction and information for what to do and expect on the day of your test.
If you have previously taken TEAS elsewhere, unfortunately, those results are not accepted by the nursing program. This exam must be taken through Thomas Nelson.
Scores are valid for two application cycles and can be re-used. The most recent score is counted, not the highest score. If you tested in Fall 2020, you will need to test again.
TEAS is a 4-hour general knowledge exam that will begin at 10 am, and the $70 payment will be made when you log in on test day. This 4-part exam will test reading comprehension, grammar, science and math. ATI Testing is the test administrator; please visit their website at www.atitesting.com to purchase a practice test and remediation materials. Take a practice test to assess the areas in which you are weakest and then focus your studying in those areas. For test prep tips and test success, please also review the ATI TEAS SmartPrep site at: https://ati.docsend.com/view/mqwrbc3knxmrjpgi.
PLEASE MONITOR THIS WEBSITE REGULARLY FOR UPDATES AND NEW INFORMATION
THANK YOU FOR APPLYING TO THOMAS NELSON’S NURSING PROGRAM!!!
ACCEPTANCE/DECISION LETTERS WILL BE SENT ELECTRONICALLY TO STUDENT EMAIL ACCOUNTS BY THE END OF OCTOBER.
ALL APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE A WRITTEN NOTIFICATION
Resources & Application Information:
- Steps to Application (Downloadable copy)
- Nursing Information Session Presentation
- PN Bridge to RN Admissions Requirements Brochure
- RN Admissions Requirements Brochure
- Nursing Application Process at a Glance
- Nursing Application Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
- RN Program Credits and Curriculum
- TEAS Admissions Testing Information
- TEAS Remote Proctoring Information for Students
- TEAS Remote Proctoring Instructions for Students
- Reference Form
- Course Substitution Form
- Course Transfer Evaluation Form
- Estimated Program Expenses