SPRING 2021 ORIENTATION and
ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS FOR NEWLY ACCEPTED
NURSING STUDENTS FOR THE FALL 2021 ADN PROGRAM
Congratulations on your conditional acceptance to Thomas Nelson’s fall 2021 RN program at the Hampton Campus with classes that begin on August 23rd. To fulfill admissions requirements, your attendance at the Spring 2021 RN Orientation session is mandatory:
DATE: Wednesday, May 12, 2021
TIME: 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm
LOCATION: Virtual via ZOOM at: https://vccs.zoom.us/j/88501508573
Please print these instructions for your reference at Orientation. [Nursing Admissions & Orientation Information]. Please submit all requirements in separate PDF files to firstname.lastname@example.org or upload to CastleBranch as required; do not send several requirements combined into one PDF. Do not separate multiple pages of a document into separate PDF files.
- If you have already placed your background check and drug screen order using Package Code HO27bgdt, please add Package Code #HO27im to your order for the physical requirements tracker. [CastleBranch Compliance Tracker HO27im]
- If you need to order your background check, drug screen and physical requirements tracker, all 3 components are combined into Package Code #HO27. [CastleBranch 3 Requirements HO27]
You must register by Wednesday, May 26, 2021, and submit your sample to Lab Corp. by Wednesday, June 2, 2021. The nursing office will receive your reports; no need to submit any copies.
- Order uniforms at Uniform Warehouse by Monday, May 17, 2021 [Uniform Order Form] Orders will be taken from May 12 through May 17 between the hours of 10:30 AM and 4:30 PM (Closed on Sundays). Payment is due at the time of the order by Cash or Credit Card; personal checks are not accepted. Due to COVID restrictions, only 2 customers are allowed in the store at one time. Students will need to call 757-595-6794 upon arrival in the parking lot and wait to be called into the store. Mask and social distancing is required. All fitting rooms remain closed, but assistance with sizing will be provided.
- Provide a copy of your AHA BLS Certification for Healthcare Providers. BLS for Healthcare Provider certification must be through American Heart Association or through one of their approved agencies only. Upload both sides of your signed certification card or your eCard to CastleBranch.
- Review the Nursing Program Policies [Under Revision] and the Board of Nursing Code of Virginia [Code of Virginia]. Please sign and return the Acknowledgment form for the Nursing Program Policies [Student Policy Agreement] by Friday, June 25, 2021.
- Please review the Guidelines for Clinical Dress [Guidelines for Clinical Dress] and the Clinical section in the Program Policies. Please complete the attached RHS clinical forms [RHS Application for Patriot's Colony] for your first clinical rotation as follows and the COVID-19 Assumption of Risk form:
Page 1 – please complete your personal info at the top, including the last 4 digits of your SSN and any RHS employment information (list dates and facility if applicable). Clinical details for “Clinical Learning Experience” leave blank, and add your name at the bottom.
Page 2 – please print/sign and date at the bottom.
Page 3 – Please initial by each line item, and print/sign and date at the bottom and be sure to include the last 4 digits of your SSN.
Page 4 – Please print/sign and date the confidentiality agreement. Save all 5 pages of your completed RHS application to a single PDF file and email it to PSAHHS@tncc.edu.
COVID-19 Assumption of Risk form must also be completed and signed/dated for both TNCC [TNCC COVID Form]
and Riverside. [RHS COVID FORM]
COVID-19 Assumption of Risk form must also be completed and signed/dated for both TNCC and Riverside. CastleBranch will not accept the RHS COVID Form, so please save this to a PDF and email it to PSAHHS@TNCC.edu. Please upload TNCC COVID form ONLY to CastleBranch.
N95 masks are required for clinical rotations. If you have already been fit-tested, please include a copy of your fit test completion card with your RHS application and COVID forms.
RHS Clinical forms, the COVID-19 Risk and N95 completion card are due on Friday, June 25, 2021.
6. Please use the physical forms and information in [Physical Exam Forms] to obtain the following:
a. Physical exam (3 pages)
b. 2-step PPD -- Complete the survey portion at the top. Your provider will complete the middle box for Step 1, and you will return to your provider 2 weeks later to complete Step 2. Your provider will need to complete both the Thomas Nelson form [TNCC PPD Form] and the Sentara form. [Sentara TB Form] CastleBranch will not accept the Sentara form, so please save the Sentara TB Form to a PDF file and email it to PSAHHS@TNCC.edu. Upload the TNCC PPD form ONLY to CastleBranch.
Not all clinical sites accept the Quantiferon Gold or similar tests and surveys, please obtain a 2-step PPD that has been approved for use at all clinical facilities.
c. 2021-22 flu shot documentation [TNCC Flu Consent Form] to be completed by your provider and signed by you both. If additional flu forms are returned to you by your provider, please include these with your TNCC flu shot form. Please do not obtain a flu shot at this time. Please wait until September when the 2021-22 serum is available.
d. Provide documentation for your immunization history to include:
- 2 MMR vaccines or positive titer
- 2 Varicella vaccines or positive titer (history of chicken pox is not sufficient) [CDC Varicella Information]
- 3 HepB vaccines, positive titer, or new 2 vaccine HepB-CpG series, or sign the HepB declination waiver [HepB Declination Waiver]. HepB is the only requirement that can be waived. [CDC HepB Information]
- Current TDap (expires after 10 years)
Documentation for all of the above physical requirements is due Friday, June 25, 2021. Upload physical exam forms (in a single PDF), TNCC PPD Form, Immunization History for MMR, Varicella, HepB (and/or HepB Declination Waiver) and Tdap to CastleBranch.
7. Tuition is due by Friday, July 16, 2021.
Please review the list of program expenses and the list of nursing program credits and curriculum.
Textbooks must be purchased from the Thomas Nelson Bookstore as a bundle package using ISBN #_______________ for ADN RN students at the Hampton Campus. The first-semester book package is estimated at $1,300. Please contact Financial Aid Office for the scheduled day for nursing students in the Bookstore.
PN-RN CSC students must purchase both 1st and 2nd semester book packages before Sum’21 classes begin. PN-RN CSC students will select NSG200 on the bookstore webpage to order and pay for these two packages. Books can be shipped direct or curbside pickup at the bookstore can be scheduled.
8. Program forms to be returned to the Nursing Office on Friday, June 25, 2021:
- [Orientation Checklist]
- [Release and Waiver of Liability]
- [Student Release of Confidential Information]
- [Off Campus Use of Equipment]
- [Latex Response Plan]
- [Photo/Video Release Form]
These 6 forms are the only forms that can be combined into one PDF file for submission as they are for Thomas Nelson use only and are not submitted to clinical sites. Please submit these forms to PSAHHS@TNCC.edu. DO NOT UPLOAD THESE FORMS TO CASTLEBRANCH.
9. Student Nurses’ Association Welcome Information [SNA Flyer]
10. Concurrent and Traditional BSN Programs at ODU – The concurrent program allows students enrolled in Thomas Nelson’s RN program to take on-line courses at ODU toward their BSN at the same time. After Thomas Nelson graduation and program completion, you are eligible to take NCLEX, and then a few months and final ODU project later, a BSN from ODU is earned. This is an aggressive educational track, so it is highly recommended that students do not take on the extra work required by this double major until the 2nd semester at Thomas Nelson; adjust to the nursing course/workload before you begin the concurrent program.
If you prefer a traditional track for your BSN, ODU also offers an RN to BSN program that starts after Thomas Nelson’s program is complete. It is a 2-year curriculum.
The following is provide for your information:
b. PC-RN to BNS
Please contact Ms. Jacquelyn Nielsen at JBNielse@ODU.edu for more direction and information on this concurrent or traditional BSN program.
REMEMBER TO SEND EACH OF THE FORMS AS INSTRUCTED TO email@example.com AND UPLOAD ALL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS, TNCC PPD Doc, CPR Card, and TNCC COVID Form TO CASTLEBRANCH.
ONLY THE NURSING FORMS IN #8 CAN BE SENT IN ONE PDF FILE. IF THERE ARE MULTIPLE PAGES FOR ONE REQUIREMENT, ALL PAGES SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN ONE PDF AND EMAILED TO PSAHHS@TNCC.EDU. RHS CLINICAL APPLICATION AND COVID FORM AND SENTARA PPD FORM SHOULD ALSO BE EMAILED TO THIS ADDRESS.
[Summer and Fall 2021 Nursing Orientation Presentation] is provided here for your reference.