FALL 2021 ORIENTATION and
ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS FOR NEWLY ACCEPTED
STUDENTS IN THE A.A.S. DEGREE NURSING PROGRAM
Congratulations on your conditional acceptance to Thomas Nelson’s Spring 2022 A.A.S. Nursing Program at the Historic Triangle Campus with classes that begin on January 10. To fulfill admissions requirements, your attendance at the following Nursing Orientation session is mandatory:
DATE: Tuesday, October 26, 2021
TIME: 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm
LOCATION: Virtual via ZOOM https://vccs.zoom.us/j/88480890516
Please print these instructions for your reference at Orientation. [Nursing Admissions & Orientation Information]. Please submit all requirements in separate PDF files to email@example.com; do not send several requirements combined into one PDF. Do not separate multiple pages of a document into separate PDF files.
*** PROGRAM CHANGE FORM ***
To change your program of study to A.A.S. Nursing, please fill in your personal info at the top, add your current program of study in the first box (pre-nursing, social science, etc.), and sign/date the bottom of a Program Declaration Form [Program Change Form]. Please email this form to PSAHHS@tncc.edu by THURSDAY, OCTOBER 28, 2021.
1. Complete a drug screen and background check through CastleBranch. You must register by Thursday, October 28, 2021 and submit your sample to Lab Corp. by Monday, November 1, 2021. The package code for Registration will be posted here after Orientation. The nursing office will receive your report; no need to submit a copy.
2. Order uniforms at The Uniform Connection by November 5, 2021. [Uniform Order Form] Orders will be taken from October 26 through November 5, 2021 between the hours of 10:30 AM and 4:30 PM (Closed on Sundays). Payment is due at the time of the order by Cash or Credit Card; personal checks are not accepted. Masks and social distancing are required. An all-in-one cost effective package of your clinical equipment (Stethoscope, Blood Pressure cuff, Watch, Pen Light, Hemostat, and Bandage Scissors) will be available to order with your uniform order.
3. Provide a copy of your AHA BLS Certification for Healthcare Providers. BLS for Healthcare Provider certification must be through American Heart Association or through one of their approved agencies only. (Red Cross certification is not accepted.) Upload both sides of your signed certification card or your eCard to CastleBranch AND scan a copy to PSAHHS@tncc.edu.
4.Review the nursing program policies in the Nursing Student Handbook [Nursing Student Handbook] and the Board of Nursing Code of Virginia [Code of Virginia]. Please sign and email the Acknowledgment form for the Nursing Standards Affirmation Statement found in the FA21 Nursing Forms Packet [FA21 Nursing Forms Packet] by Friday, December 17, 2021 to PSAHHS@tncc.edu.
5. Clinical Forms & Information: Please review the Guidelines for Clinical Dress [Guidelines for Clinical Dress] and the Clinical section in the Nursing Student Handbook. Please also review the Clinical Functions and Technical Standards [Clinical Functions & Technical Standards].
Please complete the RHS clinical application forms [RHS Application for Patriot's Colony] for your first clinical rotation as follows:
Page 1 – Please complete your personal info at the top, including the last 4 digits of your SSN and any RHS employment information (list dates and facility if applicable). Clinical details for “Clinical Learning Experience” leave blank, and add your name at the bottom.
Page 2 – Please print/sign and date at the bottom.
Page 3 – Please initial by each line item and print/sign and date at the bottom and be sure to include the last 4 digits of your SSN.
Page 4 - Please print/sign and date the confidentiality agreement.
Page 5 - Please print/sign, add Thomas Nelson and date at the bottom.
Page 6 - Please print/sign, add Thomas Nelson and date at the bottom.
Save all 6 pages of your completed RHS application to a single PDF file and email it to PSAHHS@tncc.edu.
N95 masks are required for clinical rotations. If you have a current fit test, please scan a copy of your fit test completion card in an email to PSAHHS@tncc.edu with your RHS application.
RHS Clinical application forms and N95 completion card (if you have it already) are due on Friday, December 17, 2021.
6. Please provide documentation and complete the forms in the links below to submit the following physical requirements:
- Physical exam [Health History, Physical Exam & Immunizations] – Upload to CastleBranch.
- Provide documentation for your immunization history (Page 4 of the Health History, Physical Exam and Immunizations forms above) to include:
- 2 MMR vaccines or positive titer
- 2 Varicella vaccines or positive titer (history of chicken pox is not sufficient) [CDC Varicella Information]
- 3 HepB vaccines, positive titer, or sign the HepB declination waiver [HepB Declination Waiver]. HepB is the only requirement that can be waived. [CDC HepB Information]
- Heplisav (HepB-CpG) 2-vaccine series – This vaccine requires a positive titer (anti-HBs ≥10 mIU/ml) to prove immunity.
- Current TDap (expires after 10 years)
Upload all MMR, Varicella, HepB and Tdap documentation to CastleBranch ONLY – DO NOT send these to PSAHHS@tncc.edu.
- TB Requirements:
- Negative IGRA test results from either (1) QuantifFERON®-TB Gold In-Tube test (GFT-GIT) or (2) T-SPOT®B test (T-Spot)
- Mantoux Tuberculin Skin Tests (TST)/2-step PPD -- Complete the survey portion at the top. Your provider will complete the middle box for Step 1, and then return to your provider 2 weeks later to complete Step 2. Your provider will need to complete the Thomas Nelson form [TNCC PPD Form]
- If you have a positive TST/PPD or IGRA, documentation of a negative chest x-ray subsequent to the positive TST is required along with the completed survey at the top of the TNCC PPD Form.
Upload all TB documentation to CastleBranch AND email to PSAHHS@TNCC.edu.
- 2021-22 flu shot documentation [TNCC Flu Consent Form] to be completed by your provider and signed by you both. If additional flu forms are returned to you by your provider, please include these with your TNCC flu shot form. Please also complete the Influenza Vaccination Attestation [Influenza Vaccination Attestation]. If you have a medical exemption for the flu shot, please complete the RHS Vaccine Exemption Form [RHS Vaccine Exemption Form]. Upload all flu shot documentation to CastleBranch AND email to PSAHHS@TNCC.edu.
- COVID vaccinations are required by our clinical sites. All students attending clinical rotations will need to complete COVID vaccination series and boosters as necessary in order to attend clinical. This requirement cannot be declined, and only approved medical or religious exemptions will be accepted. A medical exemption form can be obtained through your medical provider. Please visit 12VAC5-110-80. Exemptions from immunization requirements. (virginia.gov) for more information on a religious exemption. If you have an approved exemption, please complete the RHS Vaccine Exemption Form [RHS Vaccine Exemption Form].
- Please complete and sign the Thomas Nelson COVID Rish Assessment Form [TNCC COVID Risk Form].
- Please submit a PDF of your TNCC COVID Risk Assessment and COVID vaccination card or your RHS Exemption Form and any other exemption documents CastleBranch AND email to PSAHHS@TNCC.edu by Friday, December 17, 2021.
- Complete the Communicable Disease Statement and submit it to PSAHHS@tncc.edu. [Communicable Disease Statement]
Documentation for all of the above physical requirements is due Friday, December 17, 2021.
7. Tuition is due by Friday, December 3, 2021. Please review the list of program expenses and the list of nursing program credits and curriculum. [Program Expenses], [RN Credits and Curriculum], and [PN-RN CSC Bridge Credits and Curriculum]
ISBN information will be posted as soon as it becomes available. Textbooks must be purchased from the Thomas Nelson Bookstore as a bundle package using ISBN #_______________ for ADN RN 1st semester students at the Historic Triangle Campus.The first-semester book package is estimated at $1,300.Please contact Financial Aid Office for the scheduled day for nursing students in the Bookstore.
This PN-RN info is not applicable for the Fall 2021 Orientation session. PN-RN CSC students must purchase both 1st and 2nd semester book packages before classes begin. PN-RN CSC students will use ISBN #_________________ and #____________________.
On-Line Ordering Instructions from the Bookstore: [On-Line Ordering Instructions]
8. Program forms [FA21 Nursing Forms] are to be returned to the Nursing Office on Friday, December 17, 2021:
- Complete each of the forms contained in the Fall 2021 Nursing Forms Packet [FA21 Nursing Forms]. Remediation forms (at the end of the packet) are not applicable at this time.
These above forms packet and 3 additional forms are the only forms that can be combined into one PDF file for submission as they are for Thomas Nelson use only and are not submitted to clinical sites. Please scan all forms to a single PDF file in an email to PSAHHS@TNCC.edu.
9. Student Nurses’ Association Welcome Information [SNA Flyer].
10. Concurrent and Traditional BSN Programs at ODU – The concurrent program allows students enrolled in Thomas Nelson’s RN program to take on-line courses at ODU toward their BSN at the same time. After Thomas Nelson graduation and program completion, you are eligible to take NCLEX, and then a few months and final ODU project later, a BSN from ODU is earned. This is an aggressive educational track, so it is highly recommended that students do not take on the extra work required by this double major until the 2nd semester at Thomas Nelson; adjust to the nursing course/workload before you begin the concurrent program.
If you prefer a traditional track for your BSN, ODU also offers an RN to BSN program that starts after Thomas Nelson’s program is complete. It is a 2-year curriculum. Please review the information:
Please contact Ms. Jacquelyn Nielsen at JBNielse@ODU.edu for more direction and information on this concurrent or traditional BSN program.
REMEMBER TO SEND EACH OF THE REQUIREMENTS IN SEPARATE PDF FILES TO firstname.lastname@example.org AND UPLOAD TO
CASTLEBRANCH (as necessary for applicable requirements).
ONLY THE NURSING FORMS IN #8 CAN BE SENT IN ONE PDF FILE.
IF THERE ARE MULTIPLE PAGES FOR ONE REQUIREMENT, ALL PAGES SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN ONE PDF.
[Orientation Power Points] are provided for your reference.