*Activation of the Army's new educational portal, Army IgnitED, has been delayed. Until the new site goes active, soldiers will not be able to apply for Tuition Assistance and perform other education functions normally conducted in the portal. We will notify you as soon as ArmyIgnitED goes online.
Your experience counts. At Thomas Nelson, we believe that military experience, education and training should translate, whenever possible, into academic credit that can help you achieve your educational goals.
You Commute to Work. You Shouldn’t Have to Commute to Class
Classes normally held at Fort Eustis are being conducted on-line through the Spring 2021 term, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We hope to resume on base classes later in the new year. Updates will be provided via the college website and e-mail.
We know that many of you rely on local bases for various services. In response to the current situation, many have announced closures or reduced operating hours for key offices and support functions. Below you'll find links to the websites for key military installations in our area; they provide updates on functions/services impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak:
Obviously, this is dynamic situation, and the list of closings and service reductions is subject to change. We encourage you to call ahead before making the trip, to ensure the base office/support activity is open and providing the service or support you need.
Continuation of VA Benefits
A measure has been signed to ensure continuity of VA benefits for those eligible, despite the shift to on-line learning by many colleges, universities and trade schools. The measure also guarantees your housing allowance will remain unchanged, even if your program shifts to virtual learning. No action is required on the part of veterans or family members currently receiving education benefits. This policy will remain in effect until January 2021 or the COVID-19 crisis ends, whichever comes first
Due to COVID-19 pandemic, public access to the Thomas Nelson campuses remains restricted until further notice. On-campus military events will resume in the future. Updates will be posted on the TNCC Military/Veterans website. Student services are available on-line.
At Ease podcast
Tips for Military Spouses Looking to Advance Their Careers
On the latest episode of "At Ease," our military podcast, we speak with Lisa Taylor of Virginia Career Works. Lisa offers key tips and strategies for military spouses looking to gain career skills or move up the employment ladder. Learn about programs that pay for training which leads to nationally-recognized credentials, and portable skills you can take with you, no matter where the military takes you. Lisa also has important information for service members who are leaving the armed forces and looking to start a civilian career.
Acquire an In-Demand Skill Before You Leave the Military
Welding classes at Thomas Nelson have resumed on a limited basis, and we're accepting transitioning military members for the CSP/Skillbridge Welding Training Program, which will resume at the end of October, and continue in 2021. For more information call (757) 825-2938 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Leaving the military this year? Need to add a new skill before your separation or retirement date? Then our CSP/Skillbridge Welding Program may be your answer. Complete an entry-level welding class in only six weeks, with the opportunity to earn a nationally-recognized credential and screen for employment at Newport News Shipbuilding. Read More
Earn a Cyber-Security Credential in Less Than a Year
Impossible, right? Think again.
While face-to-face classes at TNCC have been temporarily suspended, you can still earn your Career Studies Certificate in Cyber-Security for Local Area Networks (LAN) by taking the three required courses on-line. Face-to-face classes for this program at Fort Eustis will resume in the near future.
Thomas Nelson is the only area college or university to offer a cyber-security certificate on base, and you can finish it in less than a year. Our Career Studies in Cyber-Security for Local Area Networks will be offered on-line during the Spring 2021 term and again in-residence at Fort Eustis in the near future. Gain the knowledge you need for your Network + and Security + certifications, foundational credentials for anyone interested in a cyber career. You will also earn nine semester hours of credit, which can be applied to our IT degrees at Thomas Nelson. Learn more by contacting our military team at (757) 825-2938 or email@example.com
Army Credentialing (CA) Assistance Program
A new chapter in voluntary education for soldiers begins next week, with the arrival of the Army Credentialing Assistance (CA) Program at Fort Eustis. If you're currently a TA-eligible soldier, know someone who is, or have a soldier who's a member of your family, this program is a game-changer, in terms of training and educational opportunities.
What is CA?
- It's an Army effort to help troops obtain an occupational license or certification from organizations that assess and confirm that a credential seeker is competent and qualified to work in that field.
- CA provides funding for voluntary off-duty courses and/or exams leading to an industry-recognized academic or vocational credential listed in the Army Credentialing Opportunities On-line (COOL) portal:https://www.cool.army.mil/
- Program offers three credentialing options for soldiers:
- Credential related to a Military Occupational Specialty (MOS), as long as it is not an MOS requirement
- Credential related to an academic degree or certificate
- Credential aligned to a civilian career field
What Do Soldiers Receive?
- They can utilize Tuition Assistance (TA) and Credentialing Assistance (CA); however, the combined total cannot exceed $4000 per fiscal year
- Example: a soldier enrolls in a Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW), which leads to a nationally-recognized credential from the American Welding Society; the cost for the program at Thomas Nelson is $2715. After completing the welding class, the soldier would still have $1825 to use for college classes, or another vocational course during that year
- CA pays for classroom, on-line/blended and hands-on learning/training, plus associated exams, materials and all required fees (i.e., manuals, books, supplies, study guides and re-certification of credentials)
Do You Qualify?
- Must meet basic tuition assistance eligibility
- Begin work on first Credentialing Occupational Pathway upon achievement of MOS Qualification and completion of Advanced Individual Training (AIT); Warrant Officer Basic Course or Basic Officer Leader Course
- Eligibility for second Credentialing Occupational Pathway upon achievement of MOS qualification, successful completion of Advanced Leaders Course; Warrant Office Advance Course, Captain Career Course or equivalent
- Courses/exam must be completed before date of separation.
Ready to Get Started?
Before enrolling, you must attend the Credentialing Assistance 101 Briefing. Presentation is held every Wednesday morning at Fort Eustis, starting at 11:30 am (appointments required). To schedule, call (757) 878-2083, Monday-Friday from 0800-1630 local.
Thomas Nelson offers more than 75 nationally industry-recognized credentials and certifications, in such fields as IT, manufacturing, healthcare, automotive technology, and the skilled trades. Our spring schedule has been posted, with class dates, times and pricing information. For more information, contact our military team at (757) 825-2938/878-5344 or Workforce Development, at (757) 825-4070.
Need to add to your skills, or train for a new career?
Thomas Nelson Workforce Development has a wide range of classes that can enhance your existing skill set, or prepare you for a new job. Check out their offerings in healthcare, IT, manufacturing & trades, business and entrepreneurship and transportation. These courses are affordable and our on-line registration system is fast and easy. Many of these classes lead to nationally-recognized credentials and may complement training your gained in the military. Classes for the summer and fall are now forming; see the complete list of offerings here.
We're excited to announce Credits2Careers, Virginia's Community Colleges' academic and career portal for evaluating and awarding credit for military experience.
Locations in Hampton, Newport News, and Williamsburg are located in close proximity to the many bases on the peninsula.
We provide quality academic instruction and resources to our military at Fort Eustis and the Coast Guard Training Center at Yorktown.
Learn on your own time. With quality classes available online, we provide what you need, when you need it.
Serving those who serve
For nearly 50 years, Thomas Nelson has proudly served military students, their families, and our country's veterans. Learn more about classes and programs available on base, on campus, and online created to serve those who serve.
Save big and complete your Bachelor’s degree through Guaranteed Admission with over 30 Virginia colleges and universities.
Expedite your transition into the civilian workforce through fast certificate programs or two-year Associate degree programs.