Now that school has started and census (the last day to receive a refund) has passed for the 16-week session, the Financial Aid Office is preparing the process of authorizing financial aid to be applied toward your tuition, fees, and bookstore charges, if you used financial aid to purchase your books and supplies.
There are a couple of things to keep in mind:
- Students who are enrolled in a combination of sessions (16-week and 8-week 2) will experience a delay in their refunds being processed. For example, there is a separate census date for classes that occur in the 8-week 2 session. In this example, we are unable to process refunds for those students until after the 8-week 2 census date which is March 20, 2018. Check your class schedule to see when your classes begin and refer to the Academic Calendar available at www.tncc.edu.
- Our office has to review every financial aid recipient to verify their enrollment and if it has changed from the initial award, we are required to adjust your award to your actual rate of enrollment. For example, if you were awarded a Pell Grant as a full-time student, but are actually enrolled half-time, we will need to adjust your award to half-time enrollment.
- If you are enrolled in classes that are not part of your Program Plan, we are required to adjust your aid for the credits that are considered eligible. You may want to review your Student Center for any messages related to ineligible courses.
- After enrollment is verified, we begin the authorization process to disburse the financial aid funds. We follow this sequence: scholarships (both private and college scholarships), state grants, student loans, then federal grants. We expect to begin this process on Thursday, February 1, 2018
- After authorization and disbursement is completed for each aid program, the Business Office will apply the funds to your tuition, fees, and bookstore charges. If you have money remaining, they will submit a refund request for you.
- If you have not selected a method to receive your refund; you will want to go to: www.tncc.edu/refund. If you did not select the direct deposit or debit card, your refund will be processed as a check.
- It can take 14-21 business days for Tuition Management Systems (TMS) to process your refund check. Refund checks will be mailed to the address that you have on file with Thomas Nelson Community College. Check your MyTNCC account to confirm your mailing address. If your address has changed, you can update the information on your MyTNCC account. The Business Office and Financial Aid Office are not authorized to change your address.
- You can also monitor your MyTNCC account to view when your financial aid was applied toward your account and when the refund was requested:
How to Check for Refunds and Remaining Balance Disbursements
- Log in to SIS
- Click on Self Service
- Click on Student Center
- Look below the Finance Heading to the "Other Financial" drop-down menu box.
- Click on Account Activity in the drop-down menu and then click the double arrow go button to the right of the menu box.
If your refund has been processed, you will see the amount shown in the REFUND column. Look at the Posted Date column and allow:
- Pre-Paid debit card funds are usually available 10-14 business days after you see the refund posted on your SIS account.
- Direct Deposit (ACH) funds are usually available 10-14 business days after you see the refund posted on your SIS account
- If you did not sign up for the Prepaid Debit Card or Direct Deposit refund option allow 14-21 business days from the Posted Date for US postal delivery of your check. Checks will be mailed to the mailing address on your SIS account.
- If you are unsure as to how to access your account, contact the Help Desk by phone at 757.825.2709, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by stopping in Wythe Hall, Room 249 on the Hampton Campus.