Thomas Nelson officials are pleased to partner with the U.S. Census Bureau to promote participation in the 2020 Census among students and College personnel while also promoting job opportunities in Hampton and Newport News for students.
The U.S. Census Bureau is recruiting thousands of workers for temporary jobs available nationwide in advance of the 2020 Census. The 2020 Census Jobs website allows those interested to apply for numerous positions including recruiting assistants, office operations supervisors, clerks, census field supervisors and census takers. The positions will be located across 248 Area Census Offices and offer flexible work hours, including daytime, evenings and weekends.
Applicants must be U.S citizens at least 18 years old with valid Social Security numbers. Available Census Bureau positions include:
- Recruiting assistants to travel throughout geographic areas to visit with community-based organizations, attend promotional events and conduct other recruiting activities.
- Office operations supervisors who will assist in the management of office functions and day-to-day activities in one or more functional areas, including payroll, personnel, recruiting, field operations and support.
- Clerks to perform various administrative and clerical tasks to support various functional areas, including payroll, personnel, recruiting, field operations and support.
- Census field supervisors to conduct fieldwork to support and conduct on-the-job training for census takers and/or to follow-up in situations where census takers have confronted issues, such as not gaining entry to restricted areas.
- Census takers work in the field. Some field positions require employees to work during the day to see addresses on buildings. Other field positions require interviewing the public, so employees must be available to work when people are usually at home, such as in the evening and on weekends.