Next session begins August 2021. Application Deadline May 28.
About ChefsGO Pathway to Culinary Careers
In partnership with Williamsburg area chefs and restaurants, Thomas Nelson offers a unique opportunity to students interested in stepping into the restaurant, commercial, and non-commercial food service industries.
ChefsGO 1.0 is a 6-month culinary kickstart certificate program. The program provides 13 weeks of classroom and kitchen training (156 hours) taught by renowned, professionally-trained local chefs and industry professionals in partnership with Thomas Nelson. Classes are interactive and intensive, equipping students with foundational culinary techniques and knowledge including knife skills, equipment operation, kitchen mathematics, nutrition and food allergies, food and kitchen safety, and hands-on preparation of stocks and sauces, fruits and vegetables, meats and seafood, bakery products, and so much more. Then students participate in a 13-week paid mentorship (32-40 hours per week) in a participating restaurant following the classroom portion. This introductory culinary program will provide students with the skills needed to obtain gainful employment in a world-class restaurant and set them on a pathway to a career in Culinary Arts as well as other foodservice and hospitality opportunities.
What You Receive
- Certificate of Completion from Thomas Nelson
- Certified Kitchen Cook credential (upon successful completion of the American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute Exam)
- Peninsula Health District Food Handler Permit
- CPR Certification
- Opportunity for full-time employment to begin your culinary career (completion & performance dependent)
What’s Included in Tuition
- Uniform (2) Chef Coats, Knife Kit, Hat, Apron, Nametag, Thermometer
- AHLEI Text Book & Exam
- CPR Class & Exam
- ServSafe Food Handler textbook
- Fine Dining Dinner experience at Waypoint Seafood & Grill
- Open to any Peninsula resident (must be 18 years of age by October 22, 2021 to participate).
- Cooking skills and restaurant experience not required.
- Must be able to work in Williamsburg.
- Must meet technical requirements (Click here to view)
- Info Sessions are a self-paced online course and will be available with online applications April 16, 2021.
- Deadline to apply is May 28, 2021.
- Interviews will be held June 14 – June 18, 2021.
- Registration and Payment Due by July 23, 2021
- Class Dates August 2, 2021 - October 21, 2021
- Mentorship Dates October 22, 2021 – January 3, 2022
- Graduation Wednesday, December 15, 2021
Culinary Foundations Classroom & Lab Training
- August 2, 2020 – October 21, 2021, Monday – Wednesday afternoons
- Held at the Williamsburg Workforce Center & Warhill High School in Williamsburg
- Attendance is mandatory.
October 22, 2021 – January 3, 2022
Mentorships are a full-time obligation (up to 40 hours per week) at a Williamsburg area restaurant and require a flexible working schedule including days, nights, weekend, and holidays.
Important To Apply
- Thoroughly read and study the information session and complete the application by May 28, 2021.
- We will schedule an interview with you and the Program Coordinators/Chefs in early June.
- Acceptance letters will be sent June 25, 2021.
- Payment in full is required by July 23, 2021. We accept Checks, Money Orders, American Express, MasterCard or VISA. We do not accept Cash
- Need based partial scholarships are available.
- Financial assistance may be available for qualified candidates through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act. Contact the Virginia Career Works Hampton office for more information at (757) 865-5800. Start this process as soon as possible.
For more information please contact Holly Herrick at firstname.lastname@example.org.
"ChefsGO 1.0 is a career opportunity for interested applicants 18 years old or older to explore the basic foundation of Culinary Arts. Thought and designed by highly skilled local professionals, the program will touch on all basic academic and culinary skill sets preparing the individuals for possible entry positions in the Hospitality arena."
Register for classes online using the Thomas Nelson Workforce Development registration system.