Next session begins February 2020
In partnership with Williamsburg area chefs and restaurants, Thomas Nelson offers a unique opportunity to students interested in stepping into the restaurant, commercial, and non-commercial food service industries.
ChefsGO 1.0 is a culinary kickstart certificate program. The program provides 11 weeks of classroom and kitchen training (144 hours) taught by renowned, professionally-trained local chefs and industry professionals in partnership with Thomas Nelson. Labs and lectures are interactive and intensive, equipping students with foundational culinary techniques and knowledge. Then students participate in a 15-week paid mentorship in a restaurant following the classroom portion. This introductory culinary program will provide you with the skills needed to obtain gainful employment in a world-class restaurant and set you on a pathway to a career in Culinary Arts. Classes are interactive and intensive, equipping students with foundational culinary techniques and knowledge. Students will be introduced to everything from knife skills to preparing sauces and soups, proper kitchen sanitation to food storage and much more.
What You Receive
- Certificate of Completion from Thomas Nelson
- Certified Kitchen Cook credential (upon successful completion of the American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute Exam)
- Peninsula Health District Food Handler Permit
- CPR Certification
- Opportunity for full-time employment to begin your culinary career (completion & performance dependent)
What’s Included in Tuition
- Uniform (2) Chef Coats, Knife Kit, Hat, Apron, Nametag, Thermometer
- AHLEI Text Book & Exam
- CPR Class & Exam
- ServSafe Food Handler textbook
- Fine Dining Dinner experience at Waypoint Seafood & Grill
- Must register and attend a mandatory info session See dates below.
- Open to any Peninsula resident (must be 18 years of age by September 1, 2020 to participate). Must be able to work in Williamsburg.
- Cooking skills and restaurant experience are not required.
- Must meet technical requirements (Click here to view)
- Info Sessions will be held:
- Interviews will be held in mid-November
- Registration and Payment Due by February 3, 2020
- Class Dates February 17 – August 13
- Graduation Wednesday, August 12, 2020
Culinary Foundations Classroom & Lab Training
- February 17 - May 13, 2020 Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3 - 7 p.m
- Held at the Williamsburg Workforce Center & Warhill High School in Williamsburg
- Attendance is mandatory.
- May 14 – August 12, 2020
- Mentorships are a full-time obligation (up to 40 hours per week) at a Williamsburg area restaurant and require a flexible working schedule including days, nights, weekend, and holidays.
- Complete the below application and email to email@example.com. We will confirm receipt of your application.
- You will need to attend a mandatory info session in September or October.
- You will need to attend an interview with the Program Coordinator and a panel of Chefs in mid-November.
- Space is limited to 15 students.
- Payment in full required by February 3, 2020. We accept Checks, Money Orders, American Express, MasterCard or VISA. We do not accept Cash
- Need based partial scholarships are available.
- Financial assistance may be available for qualified candidates through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act. Contact the Virginia Career Works Hampton office for more information at (757) 865-5800. Start this process as soon as possible.
For more information please contact Allison Patterson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
"ChefsGO 1.0 is a career opportunity for interested applicants 18 years old or older to explore the basic foundation of Culinary Arts. Thought and designed by highly skilled local professionals, the program will touch on all basic academic and culinary skill sets preparing the individuals for possible entry positions in the Hospitality arena."
Register for classes online using the Thomas Nelson Workforce Development registration system.