Transferring to Virginia Peninsula

Welcome to Virginia Peninsula Community College! As a transfer student there are additional steps in the admission process that you will need to follow to have your previous coursework reviewed for credit.

Please note the transfer credit evaluation process can be lengthy; however, we have provided a tool that you can use to see how your previous coursework will transfer to VPCC.

Use the tool to determine which courses to take next, then plan to meet with your Academic Advisor.

Transfer Evaluation System (TES)

Transfer Credit Equivalencies

Disclaimer: The course equivalency information is provided as a guide to those who are transferring credits from other institutions. This is not an all-inclusive list. VPCC reserves the right to change courses and credit as deemed appropriate by the Division of Academic Affairs without prior notice.

Students transferring to Virginia Peninsula should:

  • Apply to Virginia Peninsula: You must be a student at Virginia Peninsula prior to any official evaluation taking place.

  • Send official transcripts: Official transcripts are needed for all previously attended institutions. However, official transcripts are not needed from our sister Virginia Community College System (VCCS) institutions. You need to submit the Request for Transfer Evaluation form asking us to review that Institution. If you have attended multiple institutions official transcripts would be needed from each institution previously attended. Contact your previous institutions to find out how to request your official transcripts. (Hand-carried official transcripts are accepted but they must be in their original sealed envelope never having been opened. Once opened the transcript is considered unofficial and cannot be used for evaluation purposes.

Send transcripts to:


US Mail:
Virginia Peninsula Community College
ATTN Admissions
99 Thomas Nelson Drive
Hampton VA 23666
Virginia Peninsula Community College
ATTN Student Services
4601 Opportunity Way
Williamsburg VA 23188

Once your evaluation is complete you will be notified via email. Results can be viewed via your MyVPCC account in your Student Center in SIS. Your Transfer Credit Report can be viewed by clicking the Other Academic Links dropdown box.

General Criteria for course transfer

  • The institution where courses were completed should be a regionally accredited institution or have their courses reviewed by the American Council on Education (ACE). Other institutions will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
  • Courses must be successfully completed with a grade of C or better. This includes C- grades as VPCC does not have a + or – grading scale.
  • Pass/Fail classes do not transfer unless there is a notation on the transcript that says that a Pass grade is equivalent to a grade of C or better.
  • Virginia Peninsula should have an equivalent course or courses to award transfer credit. We do not normally award credit for courses or disciplines not offered at VPCC. Some allowances may be made when a full range of a foreign language has been completed at beginning and intermediate levels for those students majoring in Liberal Arts. Credit awarded at the discretion of the division.
  • Transfer credit is reviewed based upon the current catalog at the time of evaluation.
  • For those institutions that operate on a quarter calendar it requires more quarter hours to equal semester hour credits. Credit will not be awarded if there are not enough credits to equal our course.

Foreign Credentials

Students who have attended institutions outside of the United States need to have their transcript reviewed through a Foreign Credential Evaluation Service. A course-by-course review is needed. Please note that this can be a lengthy and expensive process. Please start the process early.

  • Contact the company you want to use to determine what they will need to complete your review. This may also include the need for translation.
  • The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services has a list that you can research to determine the right company for you. NACES Members. If you choose a company outside of NACES you will want to check with Virginia Peninsula to determine if the report your chosen company provides will meet our needs.
  • Send the report that is produced to Virginia Peninsula using the same addresses as transcripts above.

Military Armed Forces: Active Duty or Veteran

Active Duty and Veterans using military benefits will need to have their military training reviewed for credit. For Army, Navy, Marines & Coast Guard request your official Joint Services Transcript (JST) here

Air Force & Space Force request your official transcripts from Community College of the Air Force.

For DD 214 PED Credit, please provide Admissions with a copy of your DD 214 Member-4.

Standardized Tests Accepted at Virginia Peninsula Community College

Advanced Placement (AP)
Cambridge International Program
College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST)
International Baccalaureate Program (IB)

Exams accepted and scores required for credit can be found in the college catalog under Credit for Prior Learning/Advanced Standing Guide.

Professional Certifications & Licensures

Professional Certifications & Licensures can be reviewed for credit. Provide copies of your current certification, license or transcript of course completions for consideration. Professional Certifications and Licensures that have been reviewed for credit can be found here.

American Council on Education (ACE)

Virginia Peninsula considers ACE credit recommendations when reviewing content for transfer credit. Appropriate documentation showing the successful completion of the training or coursework must be provided to Admissions. The documentation will be reviewed in conjunction with the Academic Division to determine applicable credit.