What is TRiO SSS?
TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) is a college success program that serves only 160 students a year who plan to earn an associate's degree at Virginia Peninsula and transfer to a four-year college or university. TRiO provides personalized advising, transfer planning, personal and leadership development, and a supportive community focused on empowering students to succeed at Virginia Peninsula and transfer prepared to succeed in a bachelor's degree program.
What Services Do TRiO Students Receive?
TRiO students benefit from a structured program of personalized advising designed to ensure they have well-developed goals, can access the resources they need to succeed, and have opportunities to explore their passions and interests.
TRiO students attend a wide range of activities and programs regarding:
- academic, financial aid, and career advising,
- study skills and strategies,
- school-life balance,
- financial literacy,
- transfer advising to four-year institutions,
- campus visits to four-year institutions, and
- cultural enrichment trips designed to help students be successful and to connect with other committed students.
Who is eligible to participate in TRiO?
Students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents, accepted or currently enrolled at Virginia Peninsula, seeking a transferable Associate's degree (A.A. or A.S.) and planning to graduate and immediately transfer to a four-year college to complete a Bachelor's degree. Students must also meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Family taxable income must meet appropriate federal guidelines set by the U.S. Department of Education
- First generation (neither parent has graduated from a four-year college/university)
- Register with the Office of Accessibility
- Show need for academic support
- Must demonstrate the academic potential for graduating from Virginia Peninsula and transferring to a four-year college within a 4-year period
How do I join TRiO?
Students must submit the TRiO application by clicking the link below. Don't delay because there are only 160 slots available per year!
Office of TRiO Student Support Services
- Natasha Woods, Counselor
- Griffin Hall, Room 221T
- (757) 825-3882
Historic Triangle campus
- LaRai Petway, Project Coordinator
- Room 106E
- (757) 258-6537
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information