Out of State Licensure and Certification.

By federal regulation 34 CFR 668.43, Virginia Peninsula Community College must disclose to prospective out-of-state students which states its programs meet and do not meet the applicable educational requirements for professional licensure or certification.

Prospective students outside the Commonwealth of Virginia who may enroll in a program at Virginia Peninsula Community College that prepares students for external certification or licensure or may require clinical placements or internships should familiarize themselves with any state-specific educational requirements or special limitations on allowable courses. Prior to enrolling in a program at Virginia Peninsula Community College leading to external licensure or certification, we recommend that a student contact the state board or agency of the program in the state they wish to practice for the most complete and up-to-date information pertaining to licensure and certification. In addition to educational requirements, an agency or board may require additional criteria be met for licensure.

If the student is from a state where the certification or licensure program does NOT MEET the student's home state requirements and the student is enrolled in at least one course online their first semester in the program, the student must provide a written attestation where they intend to seek employment after completing the program. Online students cannot enroll if they reside and plan to seek employment in a state where the Virginia Peninsula Community College licensure or certification program does not meet that state’s requirements for certification or licensure.

All Virginia Peninsula Community College programs intended to prepare students for certification or licensure meet licensure/certification requirements in the state of Virginia. No determination has been made for the following states and territories: AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, PR, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY.
More information about licensure and certification programs at Virginia Peninsula Community College can be found in the college catalog https://catalog.vpcc.edu/content.php?catoid=14&navoid=2929.

This information is subject to change and will be updated as more information becomes available.

Attestation Process

Federal regulations prohibit Virginia Peninsula Community College from enrolling students in a program that leads to licensure or certification if the college does not meet the educational requirements for licensure or certification in the student's state of residence.

Students who intend to seek licensure and employment in a different state may be eligible for enrollment in their chosen program, provided that the program meets the educational requirements for licensure in that state and that they submit an attestation.

The student's attestation requires completing a form returned to the college within 14 days of receiving the notification. Students who do not submit an attestation in that time period will not be allowed to enroll at Virginia Peninsula Community College.

Complaint Resolution

Virginia Peninsula Community College’s Student Grievance Policy and Procedure is described in our catalog. Virginia Peninsula strives to provide the highest quality educational opportunities available. However, if a conflict does arise, our efforts are meant to resolve your grievances, complaints, and concerns in an expeditious, fair, and amicable manner. Students should carefully follow the steps outlined in our catalog to ensure proper and timely resolution of their complaint.

The complaint procedures outlined in our catalog are subject to oversight by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) in complaints arising from students living outside Virginia who are enrolled in courses at Virginia Peninsula. If an issue cannot be resolved by the college’s customary resolution procedure, students may file a formal complaint directly with SCHEV.

Students located outside of Virginia can find information about their state’s student complaint procedures in the list below:
State Contacts for Complaint Resolution