Welcome to the Virginia Peninsula Community College Fire and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Education Department information and resources page. This page is for current and prospective students, faculty, staff, sponsoring agencies and clinical and field affiliates. This page provides important information and resources about each of the Department's programmatic offerings; such as student manuals, department policies and procedures, quick links to external programmatic resources, accreditation information, and more!
EMS Program Manual and Student Forms
EMS Student Medical/Physical Program Resources
- EMS Medical-Physical Examination Information Packet and Forms
- EMS Student Background Check/Fingerprinting
- Drug Screen Information
Student Web Resources
- JB Learning/Public Safety Group Navigate 2
- National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (Establish Account and Test Application)
- Virginia EMS Provider Portal (Establish Account and Required OEMS Course Registration)
- Peninsula Emergency Medical Services Council (PEMS)
- Virginia Office of Emergency Medical Services
- Virginia Office of Emergency Medical Services Certification - § 32.1-111.5
Clinical and Field Affiliate Resources
- Virginia Peninsula Fire and EMS Clinical-Field Preceptor Training Program - (Completion Required of all Affiliates)
- Virginia Peninsula Fire and EMS Clinical-Field Preceptor Training Program ppt
- Virginia Peninsula Fire and EMS Clinical-Field Preceptor Orientation Summary Signature Form
- Virginia Peninsula Fire and EMS Student Minimum Competencies
- Email Our Program Clinical and Field Coordinators
- Virginia Peninsula Clinical and Field Competency Tracking Form - (ONLY USED WHEN FISDAP IS INACCESSIBLE)
- EMS Information Release Form
- Agency Letter Templates
Program Faculty and Staff Resources
- EMS Lab Instructor Manual
- EMS Lab Instructor Manual Affirmation Form
- EMS Lab Instructor Scheduling
- Faculty and Staff Handbooks (Lab Instructors Reference/Classified Staff Handbook)
- VCCS Chancellor's ACA Directive and Workload Calculation Chart
- Virginia Office of EMS Regulations 12VAC 5-31
Credit for Prior Learning
Are you a certified EMT, AEMT or Paramedic? Would you like to earn a college degree in Emergency Medical Services? Allow us to tell you how you can earn college credit for your current EMS certification(s), learn more about our Advanced Placement Credit for Certified EMS Providers policies, and put your EMS certifications to work for you!
Do you hold fire service industry certification(s) (Pro Board, IFSAC, NFA, VDFP, DFMA, VDEM)? Would you like to earn a college degree in Fire Science? Allow us to tell you how you can earn college credit for your current fire service industry certification(s); learn more about our Advanced Placement Credit for Prior Education/Certification policies, and put your fire service certifications to work for you!
Credits may only be awarded based upon previously obtained credentials. We do not award credits for experiential learning and we do not accept EMS credits from other institutions. General education credits may be transferred in accordance with College policies.
Fire Protection, Prevention, and Suppression Programs
Virginia Peninsula Community College Fire and Emergency Medical Services Program offerings include Fire Services programs in Fire Structural Firefighting, Protection Systems (Fire Alarms and Fire Sprinkler Systems and an Associates of Applied Science Degree in Fire Science Technology. Students who complete specific courses and/or programs may be eligible to earn National Fire Academy certification(s) and/or eligibility to sit for industry credential examinations. Virginia Peninsula offers a challenging, yet rewarding online fire science program, which can be completed entirely online, from a location convenient to you.
Fire and Emergency Medical Services Program Accreditation
The Virginia Peninsula Community College EMT and AEMT programs are accredited by the Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Health Office of Emergency Medical Services. This designation is a status signifying that a program has demonstrated sufficient compliance with the accreditation Standards established by the Office of Emergency Medical Services in compliance with Virginia Administrative Code 12 VAC 5-31.
To contact the Virginia Office of EMS Division of Educational Development:
1041 Technology Park Drive
Glen Allen, VA 23059
Paramedic Program Accreditation
The Virginia Peninsula Community College EMS program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
To contact CoAEMSP:
Fire Science Program Accreditation
The Virginia Peninsula Community College Fire Science Program has received designation as a United States Fire Administration National Fire Academy Fire and Emergency Services Higher Education Program. The Fire and Emergency Services Higher Education (FESHE) Recognition certificate is an acknowledgement that a collegiate emergency services degree program meets the minimum standards of excellence established by FESHE professional development committees and the National Fire Academy (NFA).
American Heart Association Training Center
The Virginia Peninsula Community College Fire and Emergency Medical Services Education Department is and authorized American Heart Association (AHA) Training Center (VA20970) for traditional and hybrid, initial certification, recertification and instructor courses in HeartSaver, Basic Life Support (BLS), Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS).
National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians Training Center
The Virginia Peninsula Community College Fire and Emergency Medical Services Education Department is a National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT) Authorized Training Center for the delivery and instruction of initial certification and recertification NAEMT courses such as Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS), Advanced Medical Life Support (AMLS), and Emergency Pediatric Care (EPC).